DVD Movies, Camera movie files, getting them into the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nutsnbolts, May 14, 2010.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Ok, I have done this in the past before using a couple of applications and after going through the daunting process, although working well, it was a daunting process.

At that time, it really wasn't worth my time for my iPhone and with the bigger screen on the iPad, I figured I'd give it another try.

Anyone here want to share their "Process" and what "applications" used to get movies from DVD's, camera movie files, etc., into the iPad quickly.

I know you have to use iTunes to sync the movies into the device but I'm looking for the process before the iTunes sync process.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Use handbrake to convert video files to iTunes/iPod compatible formats.

http://handbrake.fr/

Don

3. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

You don't have to use iTunes.

Best methods for DVDs are:

Handbrake - iTunes - iPad Videos app

or

Handbrake - email - download and watch in GoodReader

or

Handbrake - store in location like iDisk or Dropbox - download and watch in GoodReader

The list goes on and on like that though.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I use RipIt to make a full backup of the DVD (with all menus, extras, etc). This allows me to experiment with different encoding settings, and not have to worry about scratching my disks. Once I have several DVD rips ready to go, I use handbrake with the Apple Universal setting to encode for the iPad, letting it run overnight.