DVD OS X Update

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In your Software update:

DVD Player 3.1 adds features for DVD authoring, including the ability to select and play the contents of a 'VIDEO_TS' folder from a local volume. This update also adds AppleScript support for selection and playback of DVD content. A Script menu makes it easy to add and run custom scripts. Also new is a 'wide' layout for the info window and various stability enhancements..

ThomasB

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
First try on Pismo...

I just downloaded the update and here is what I found. Running off the disc is awsome, I can drag the window around and it keeps playing. I copied the contents of the DVD on the HD. I opened it up from the DVD player, and it's not good. It's like viewing a internet streem with a 14.4 modem.

-Thomas

C4!™

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
WARNING!!

WARNING!!!

I just downloaded the 3.1 Update...but all is not well. This update is not compatible with Blue & White G3's with hardware DVD decoders. If you install this update it will make DVD unusable on your system. Here's the message I get after installing:

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
Video TS?

call me an ignorant bastard but i've never messed with copying my dvd to my HD and playing it off there. can anybody shed some light on just how to harness this power in DVD Player 3.1?

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
I just like newmaniums signature....

Funny. I have a few apple stickers left somewhere.......

Oh the update, I have nothing to say.

What about the evil ipod stealing incident from Comp USA? See it on wired.com.

There is talk that Apple will stop selling the ipod because of its software stealing capability.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Funny thing about those stickers

elgruga, recall the OLD Apple stickers, the rainbow colored apple logos, before the "rainbow" became a statement (no flames please, no pun intended). I bet those fetch a mint now that all the systems ship with the monochromatic apples. Humm, maybe I should check eBay...

What's this about removing the mounting capabilitites of the iPod? I thought that was one of the best selling points? Please elaborate on this news...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: I just like newmaniums signature....

Originally posted by elgruga
There is talk that Apple will stop selling the ipod because of its software stealing capability.
Talk from whom, exactly? I'd rate the "IBM is buying Apple" rumor higher. Hell, I'd rate the "Apple is buying IBM" rumor higher. Pulling the iPod off the market would be an unbelievably insane overreaction to a situation with many possible solutions (you know, like CompUSA securing their friggin' display machines).

The best solution I can think of is not even to remove mounting capability from the iPod, but to add the ability to restrict auto-mounting in OS X to administrators.

abe

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
Does anybody know how to install the Apple DVD Player without a physical DVD-drive installed?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: I just like newmaniums signature....

Originally posted by elgruga

They shouldnt. It's not stealing. Its copying the software to the hardrive...as long as no one sells that copied software its not illegal. The FBI cant even touch that. Copying, Stealing and selling copied software are seperate things. Its the fault of Comp Usa not Apple or the person who was smart enough to figure that out with thie iPod. Way to go mac men.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Firewire harddrives.

And don't forget about the other Firewire hard drives on the market (and there are a lot). Last time I checked, those harddrives would mount automatically as well. Should they all pull their products off of the market too?

While we're at it, we should probably get rid of the internet as it allows the copying of files between computers. And Zip disks, Jazz disks, recordable cds/dvds...they are all out. And we should probably axe all mp3 players, VCRs, and tape decks just to be safe.

I think Gelfin said it best with "insane overreaction".

People will always steal. Don't blame the technology, blame the people who abuse it. And we shouldn't limit a technologies capabilities, we should put up roadblocks for its misuse. This thread has got me all worked up...

Matthew

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
On-topic.

To get back on the topic of the original thread. I installed the DVD player update on my G4 tower and everything is hunky-dory. I also just upgraded to a Radeon graphics card, so now I can watch DVD on my TV. Oh joy!

Matthew

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
OK, now I'm not the biggest DVD guru type guy, but if this update allows you to view the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder form a local drive, doesn't that mean you can now copy DVDs relatively easily?

I don't think I'm understanding quite right because this seems strange. Even more ammo about Apple supporting piracy for Disney...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Beej
OK, now I'm not the biggest DVD guru type guy, but if this update allows you to view the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder form a local drive, doesn't that mean you can now copy DVDs relatively easily?

I don't think I'm understanding quite right because this seems strange. Even more ammo about Apple supporting piracy for Disney...
I think the big advantage may be that you can preview your DVD's prior to burning them (when you are authoring them with DVDStudio Pro etc...)

Copying DVD's still comes with the same difficulty in that they are encrypted.. and you need to use a special program to copy them off to your harddrive.

arn

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Re: I just like newmaniums signature....

Originally posted by krossfyter
It's not stealing. Its copying the software to the hardrive...as long as no one sells that copied software its not illegal. The FBI cant even touch that. Copying, Stealing and selling copied software are seperate things.
Going back off topic, :) that's not really true. It depends on the license of the software, but most commercial software I know of is only allowed to be installed on one machine. Or else it will be allowed to be installed on multiple machines with only one copy on one machine running simultaneously. Whatever the case may be, the EULA will spell it out, but most likely, copying commercial software from a CompUSA computer to an iPod IS piracy and illegal, and the FBI would most certainly love to touch that. :)

If you go so far as to try to sell the software you've copied to your iPod, then you're really in for it. :)

Alex

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: I just like newmaniums signature....

Originally posted by krossfyter

They shouldnt. It's not stealing. Its copying the software to the hardrive...as long as no one sells that copied software its not illegal.
Krossfyter,

You posted a similar sentiment in another thread... you are incorrect.

If you have a software package (or album) and copy it, and give it to your friend... it is illegal.

Whether you sell it or not doesn't matter.

arn

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
This is really a stupid debate.. It's the old "What's to blame, the tool or the wielder?" argument...

If a man shoots another man, is it the fault of the gun manufacturer for making a "dangerous object"? No...

If some stupid woman spills her coffee on herself at Mc Donalds.. is it Mc Donald's fault? No (Yes, the award McDonald's had to pay was changed from $10,000,000 to just $1.00 for that one on appeal...)

Same argument with the iPod. Is Apple at fault for what people do with it? No.. and there are plenty of other larger FireWire harddrives out there better to do it with.. do their makers get accused of piracy? No.

If I'm driving drunk and run someone over and kill them, does that mean that Toyota's at fault for making a car? No..

Have some freakin common sense!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
New Version 3.1.1 Available

According to www.maccentral.com DVD Player 3.1.1 has been released. Use your Software Update Control Panel to install the software.

I heard that C4! was having problems with a hardware version of his DVD decorder. This may or may not fix this bug.

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
and mrtrumbe........

dont forget to get rid of cameras, they steal your spirit......just ask any third world tribal dweller. Hell, someone could clone your makeup......just ask Brittany Spears....... Following it out to the ridiculous makes the answers seem obvious. And dont forget....the sky is falling....... (sigh)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Xapplimatic wrote...
If a man shoots another man, is it the fault of the gun manufacturer for making a "dangerous object"? No...
um... it is... i mean, shock horror -- someone using a gun to kill something/someone else... what do you think they were made for. in the case of the iPod, this is quite different as you know...

Guns cannot be justified...

insidesource

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Earth To Apple Base 101
Guns.... Sends a shiver up my spine

on the subject of guns, I think that they are sick, you don't buy a gun to shoot cans or to frame.
You buy it to protect yourself but protecting yourself means wounding/killing another human being.

Oops, wrong thing.
------------

DVD Player upgrade, all good, bye now.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Originally posted by j763
Xapplimatic wrote...

um... it is... i mean, shock horror -- someone using a gun to kill something/someone else... what do you think they were made for. in the case of the iPod, this is quite different as you know...

Guns cannot be justified...
That's a pretty funny statement seeing how after the Australian government required all innocent law abiding citizens to turn in and scrap their peace makers that violent crimes and murders rose 50% in the first year! Criminals aren't bothered by gun control--THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW.. Only innocent citizens are victems of gun control.. you are leaving them defenseless against criminals who will have weapons regardless of the law. Criminals prefer unarmed victems (i.e. defenseless target). duh...

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Xapp...

Unlike in the U.S., where you have the "Right to Bear Arms" (or the right to arm Bears, whichever comes first), hmm?

Oh, dear. How's the crime rate up there?:confused: