Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can play DVDs fine, but I'm having trouble fast-forwarding them. I'm trying to skip past all the menus etc, but I keep getting a "not permitted" message. How do I fix this?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
thats the way it is with some movies. I don't play movies on my computer, but I assume its the same as it is on a DVD player where in some movies you are forced to watch the FBI warning, the rating screen, the menus etc.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by Nermal
Well I could skip them on my Windows computer, so why can't I on my Mac?

for that I have no answer. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Apple's DVD Player app "follows the rules" that are coded onto the disc. Some things can be skipped over and some can't, depending on the whims of the DVD author. Your Windows DVD player probably didn't follow the rules. I watch a lot of DVDs on my iBook, and it's rare that I can't skip over something. Usually it's on older discs that there may be a preview or warning that can't be skipped.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
So how do I get it to do what I want? It's my computer, and they're my DVDs, so I should be able to choose what to do with them. One of my discs has almost 90 seconds of studio logos etc before you can do anything!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
The only legitamate thing you can do is complain to the movie studios. Like jimthorn said, "rules" are programmed into the DVD. Any regular, TV DVD player will not let you skip over parts that the DVD author does not want you to skip over. If your Windows player did it, fine, but as said earlier, it is not following the rules, which is not the norm. The Apple DVD player follows all the rules a standard DVD player does. It's not Apple's fault for making a product that performs as a standard DVD player would.

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Give VLC a try. http://www.videolan.org/
In Jaguar it could play any region dvd even if your drive was locked, but that trick seems not to be working in panther. Hopefully it'll come back in version 0.6.3 tho'.

The Void

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Give VLC a try. http://www.videolan.org/
In Jaguar it could play any region dvd even if your drive was locked, but that trick seems not to be working in panther. Hopefully it'll come back in version 0.6.3 tho'.

The Void

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Oops, sorry for double posting. Anyhow, i just tried the beta of VLC 0.7, and i still can't play other regions. Oh well, at least the FFWD works.

The Void

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, I've given VLC a go. It can skip the ads etc, but I can't figure out how to access the menus so I can choose what to watch. Also, the video playback is choppy.

Getting back to Apple's player, remember that a "feature you can't turn off" is also known as a "bug".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.