DVD Player Crashes Immediately when Opened

mjodotcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
I am was trying to play a DVD on my 2012 MBP the other day (using the superdrive it comes with but in an enclosure via USB - it was replaced internally with a HD) but the DVD player application crashes immediately when trying to open it. The player also crashes if I try to open it without the DVD drive attached.

I am on the latest macOS 10.15.2 and have tried reinstalling macOS twice. I have also tried NVRAM reset, booting up in safe mode, other user logins, and alternate media players like VLC. None seem to be able to properly play the DVD - VLC will play the audio from the disk but no video shows up.

I also have access to a 2015 MBP that is on 10.14.6 and everything runs no problem so I know the hardware is good. Perhaps 10.15 breaks something related to DVD playback for older MacBooks...? It's just odd that a reinstall of macOS did not fix the issue since this is a built in application. Maybe it's related to the OS thinking that an internal DVD drive should be present so the application just crashes out? The 2015 MBP didn't ship with an internal drive.

See below for a clip of the error report. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:

dyld3 mode

Assertion failed: (SystemDriveTable), function GetSystemDriveTable, file /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/DVDPlayback/DVDPlayback-5960.4.13/Source/Navigators/dvdpldrv/Main/DVDPLDRV.CPP, line 3467.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff663b97fa __pthread_kill + 10

mjodotcom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
Update - I did try a terminal command that supposedly was used to enable extra drive use on a Mac that didn’t support it, however, the behavior is still the same. Does this and the VLC issue all boil down to the system just doesn’t work with DVDs if you remove the drive due to some hard SW tie-ins expecting the internal drive to be there?