Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeliq

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Since upgrading to High Sierra, when I try to play a DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) the DVD Player app starts with the volume all the way down, and there is no audio even if I turn the volume up.

These are home videos and they played just fine in DVD Player previous to the upgrade.

VLC will play the VOB file and there is audio.

Have they dropped support for AC3 sound, or am I missing something?

Anyone else having issues?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have tested under a new user account, and deleted the setting folder for the DVD player in the Library. No luck yet.

If somebody could do me a favour and check under their preferences for DVD player - under Disc Setup, what it lists under 'Audio output'. Mine says 'System Sound Output', which I think would indicate the same audio output being used for all other system sounds and alerts, all of which appear to be working without issue.

Last edited:

tomdelom

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Since upgrading to High Sierra, when I try to play a DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) the DVD Player app starts with the volume all the way down, and there is no audio even if I turn the volume up.

These are home videos and they played just fine in DVD Player previous to the upgrade.

VLC will play the VOB file and there is audio.

Have they dropped support for AC3 sound, or am I missing something?

Anyone else having issues?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have tested under a new user account, and deleted the setting folder for the DVD player in the Library. No luck yet.

If somebody could do me a favour and check under their preferences for DVD player - under Disc Setup, what it lists under 'Audio output'. Mine says 'System Sound Output', which I think would indicate the same audio output being used for all other system sounds and alerts, all of which appear to be working without issue.
[doublepost=1509741105][/doublepost]Same here on 10.13.1. No sound. Sound control in dvd player app is set to zero. Altering the bar crashes dvd player.

Reactions: obeliq

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
DVD Player audio works fine for me, both in 10.13 and 10.13.1, and both through the speakers and through my AirPods.

Mine also says System Sound Output.

Reactions: obeliq

obeliq

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Mine also says System Sound Output.

I wonder if you could check in the 'Help' menu, select 'Show Supported Features' and tell me if Audio Equalizer comes up as 'Supported' for you. All the features except that one are 'Supported' for me.

If I try to open the Audio Equalizer from the 'Window' menu, I get 'This feature is not supported at this time'..

Interestingly, I also have an external audio interface (USB) but cannot select that as an audio output within the DVD Player preferences. Even changing my master audio output to the external box in system preferences does not make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.