DVD-R or DVD/+R/+RW?

sjonni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
29
0
Iceland
I´m just wondering if it isn´t better for Apple to accept Philips DVD/+R/+RW format instead of holding on to the DVD-R format ( if i´m not mistaken Philips is the inventor of the CD). I know that the Philips format discs are more expensive but more flex system. Correct me if I´m wrong, Sony is also picking up Philips format and also Microsoft (sorry). And is this format better in any way or are we going to have a long format war next years?


:p :cool: :D
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
while the format war has been going on in the pc world, Apple has build a steady stream of users of the DVD-R format. I'm pretty sure it will win out.

and m$ only likes to pick up whatever they can have the most control over. they dont like adopting technologies that already have a wide acceptance.
 

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
10,266
0
I accidentally my whole location.
I think the only advantage of the +RW format is that it can be rewritten without having to erase the whole disc. And Microsoft's current backing of it doesn't hurt either. I hope the -R/RW wins too, because I think it's more compatible with current DVD players, although I might be wrong...
 

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
240
0
10 Minutes from Disneyland
DVD-R is the only format that works on the original DVD players, the +R doesn't (found that out the hard way) i had that on a PeeCee for a while...
i like the -RW, i didn't have to erase the whole disc in Roxio, so, it was nice...and those worked in my RCA DVD player
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,088
4
Sol III - Terra
(I feel like I explain this to someone every few days.)

DVD-R's will play on almost any existing DVD player, including my first generation Panasonic DVD player.

DVD-R is the format you need to write to if you want to mass produce DVD's.

All Apple DVD-Rom drives should be able read DVD-R disks. The same for DVD-Rom drives on PC's, except for some of the drives those being manufactured by the companies pushing DVD+R.

Those pushing DVD+R, are pushing media that won't play on a lot of existing DVD players.

I think Apple's path here is the wise one. Why break compatability with existing equipment for no reason. Especially when it's equipment you don't make or sell.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Re: DVD-R or DVD/+R/+RW?

Originally posted by sjonni
I´m just wondering if it isn´t better for Apple to accept Philips DVD/+R/+RW format instead of holding on to the DVD-R format ( if i´m not mistaken Philips is the inventor of the CD). I know that the Philips format discs are more expensive but more flex system. Correct me if I´m wrong, Sony is also picking up Philips format and also Microsoft (sorry). And is this format better in any way or are we going to have a long format war next years?


:p :cool: :D
Yes, it would be. But only when they:
1. fix set top compatabliltity issuses
2. Fully support DVD+R


But for the time being, DVD-R/-RW drives are better for video purposes.
DVD+R/+RW drives are better for drive back up (faster formatting and writting times).

Apple will change when DVD+R is fully compatable w/ mostly all dvd players like DVD-R is. I know this because Apple switched from DVD-RAM to DVD-R/-RW because DVD-RAM couldnt be compatable w/ ANY set top DVD drives or even computers that didnt have a DVD-RAM drive.
 

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
1,078
0
Minnesota
I agree also that I want to be sure to have more compatability with the standards that are most popular, however, if we switch to DVD+R now, many of the DVDs we would be making will not work on the DVD players that are already in people's homes. Basically, we will have to wait for all of those people to get new DVD players that accept the DVD+R in order for it to be a "standard". I don't know. I'm just glad my DVDs from my PowerMac work in my family's DVD players right now.

Gus
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Remember that Pioneer, who manufactures the DVD-R drives in Macs, worked with Philips to bring the laserdisc to market. I'm sure they'll converge on a standard and then everyone will fall into line.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by bousozoku
Remember that Pioneer, who manufactures the DVD-R drives in Macs, worked with Philips to bring the laserdisc to market. I'm sure they'll converge on a standard and then everyone will fall into line.
I think ur forgetting the higher authority on the matter. The DVD Forum for the DVD+R/+RW and [insert name here] (i bet someone knows the higher authority for DVD-R/-RW, i personally cant remember) for DVD-R/-RW.

Those two have to agree, not just individual companies.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by ejb190
There is a article titled "Buyers Guide to Rewritable DVD's" at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,102506,00.asp

Not much that hasn't been said here, but here it is anyway. They seem to imply that DVD+RW is just as compatable as DVD-RW with current DVD players...
it does say taht they both have the compatability. BUT, DVD-R/-RW has always been more compatible with set tops than +R/+RW's. I would stick to the DVD-R for the time, just because of the compatibility issues that arrose before and could still remain. Also, I've never seen a DVD+R disk being burned for a movie, but i've seen plenty of dvd-r disks work flawlessly.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally posted by G5orbust


I think ur forgetting the higher authority on the matter. The DVD Forum for the DVD+R/+RW and [insert name here] (i bet someone knows the higher authority for DVD-R/-RW, i personally cant remember) for DVD-R/-RW.

Those two have to agree, not just individual companies.
I didn't forget anything. Pioneer is a member of one of the groups and Philips is a member of the other. They'll end up figuring it out and the two groups will fall in line because the other members (except for Sony) are all followers.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,088
4
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by ejb190
There is a article titled "Buyers Guide to Rewritable DVD's" at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,102506,00.asp

Not much that hasn't been said here, but here it is anyway. They seem to imply that DVD+RW is just as compatable as DVD-RW with current DVD players...
Not that many DVD Players did DVD-RW in the past, so that quote may be accurate. However, almost all players do play DVD-R's and very few play DVD+R's. Almost (if not all) computer DVD-ROM drives can read DVD-R's but not DVD+R's.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Bear


Not that many DVD Players did DVD-RW in thre past, so that quote may be accurate. However, almost all players do play DVD-R's and very flew play DVD+R's. Almost (if not all) computer DVD-ROM drives can read DVD-R's but not DVD+R's.
Yes. The point u made is valid. The article is right because it only said RW. DVD+R disks are a joke right now. The companies wont even support firmware upgardes in their DVD burners to support +R burning.
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
Originally posted by G5orbust


Yes. The point u made is valid. The article is right because it only said RW. DVD+R disks are a joke right now. The companies wont even support firmware upgardes in their DVD burners to support +R burning.
yep...be careful if you buy one of theses things because for some models the companies promised new burning capabilities with a firmware upgrade, and they never got it to work, so they're getting their butts sued....
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Choppaface


yep...be careful if you buy one of theses things because for some models the companies promised new burning capabilities with a firmware upgrade, and they never got it to work, so they're getting their butts sued....
Thats another reason why one should test products before telling people taht they are gunna be available.

They REALLY screwed up on the whole +R deal. They origionally supported the spec, then said they would make firmware upgrades so u could use them, now they say that they will not support the spec for unknown reasons.
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
Originally posted by G5orbust
They origionally supported the spec, then said they would make firmware upgrades so u could use them, now they say that they will not support the spec for unknown reasons.
i read that supposedly the 'proto' for the firware upgrade didn't actually work when fully implemented and that they couldn't supply the new features w/out a hardware upgrade..although I'm not sure if thats exactly what the article said (it was a while ago)

or did they find something else wrong?
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Choppaface


i read that supposedly the 'proto' for the firware upgrade didn't actually work when fully implemented and that they couldn't supply the new features w/out a hardware upgrade..although I'm not sure if thats exactly what the article said (it was a while ago)

or did they find something else wrong?
i understood it as they had problems w/ the firmware upgrades.
Im not sure about the having to make a hardware upgrade. maybe dvd+r requires a different burning process.

After the fireware let downs, tehy came out and said they weren't gunna support the spec AT ALL!!!
Thats why u can now go out and buy a DVD+R/+RW drive, buy a dvd+r, try and burn it, have it not work, and sue the sh** out of them for false advertising! :cool:
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.