Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
wow, sunday release!

this is AWESOME
now digitial professionals MUST go mac>>>>>

is this the one rare time where apple releases on a Sunday????

Class

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2003
TX
FCP4 Details

NAB, LAS VEGAS?April 6, 2003?Apple® today introduced Final Cut Pro® 4, a major upgrade of Apple?s Emmy award-winning editing software for film, HD, SD and DV. Packed with more than 300 new features, Final Cut Pro 4 introduces RT Extreme, for real-time composting and effects, powerful new interface customization tools, new high-quality 8- and 10-bit uncompressed formats and for the first time in an editing system costing less than $100,000, full 32-bit floating point per channel video processing. Final Cut Pro 4 also includes three completely new integrated applications?LiveType for advanced titling, Soundtrack for music creation and Compressor for full featured batch transcoding.

Class

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2003
TX
DVDSP2 and SHAKE3

NAB, LAS VEGAS?April 6, 2003?Apple® today announced DVD Studio Pro® 2, a completely new DVD authoring product, rebuilt from the ground up with a breakthrough user interface and packed with innovative features that redefine professional DVD authoring. With professionally designed and fully customizable templates, an innovative new menu editor, timeline-based track editing and a new world-class, software-based MPEG-2 encoder, DVD Studio Pro 2 is a must have application for every Final Cut Pro® editor, as well as any professional who creates DVDs for a living.

NAB, LAS VEGAS?April 6, 2003?Apple® today announced Shake® 3, the next generation of its industry-leading compositing and visual effects software. Shake 3 includes new Mac® OS X only features such as the Shake Qmaster network render management software and unlimited network rendering licenses which allow visual effects artists to easily distribute rendering tasks across a cluster of Apple?s Xserve? 1U rack servers or desktop Power Mac® G4 computers for maximum performance and efficiency. Shake 3 also includes new visual effects features available to Mac OS X, Linux and IRIX customers including motion-tracking and real-time broadcast preview.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Just reading the specs on Shake 3, not that I've used it, but I can certainly some things that'd make my life alittle easier!!

Would make good use of some XServes..... ;) :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
new interface for dsp 2 looks nice, may have to get back into that program.

iJon

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Hmm...looks like FCP4 will be available in June and DSP2 in August. Yet another case of Apple announcing products way ahead of shipping...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
If you look at the tech specs for Shake, you'll notice something interesting...

http://www.apple.com/shake/specs.html

System Requirements
Mac OS

Power Mac G4 or PowerBook G4 with 800MHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor; or Xserve with 1GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor

QuickTime 6.1 or later

256MB of RAM or more

1GB of available disk space for caching and temporary files

Graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory and OpenGL hardware acceleration

Display with 1280-by-1024-pixel resolution and 24-bit color

Three-button mouse

hmm... A three button mouse...

Shake is also available for Linux and Iris. Sorry guys, no windoze :cool:

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
DVD Studio Pro isn't available until August but the others are on sale now. I wonder why Apple left emagic as it's own company instead of making Logic an Apple branded product? Anyone know?

[edit] okay, I guess FCP isn't available until june. Another question...why doesn't Apple sell shake and logic on their online store???

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Great news! I'm extremely excited to try out these great new products. Then I saw when they would be available:

Final Cut Pro 4 - Available in JUNE.
DVD Studio Pro 2 - Available in AUGUST.

I'm glad to see they announced the products, but I'm mad I would be able to get a copy of them for several months.

Class

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2003
TX
Cinema Tools Included

I find it interesting that Cinema Tools is now included with FCP4 and the whole package is still only $999. All in all a very exciting release for serious videographers.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Looks like Cinema Tools is part of FCP now. Better audio mixing. audio creation software. Better title software. Improved Media Management. Loox like a winner as long as it's stable and everything worx as advertised.

when I get back from work I'll have to spend more time reading up on everything over there.

I figure I can save up enough money between now and August for FCP 4. I know it comes out in June but this will give the early adopters 2 months to find and fix the bugs. ;)

Lethal

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
DVD Studio Pro: now $499!

Talk about a buzzkill for Adobe Encore ($550)!

Both won't hit the street until the summer at least.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by rice_web
If there was any question before, it's been answered.

Apple is most definitely a software company.

Errrrrrr.... and Hardware..... ;) :p :p

Definitely some serious goodies in these updates!!

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by t^3
Hmm...looks like FCP4 will be available in June and DSP2 in August. Yet another case of Apple announcing products way ahead of shipping...

There was just a complaint in abother thread about how we never know about what Apple's doing ahead of time. Would you rather know that these programs will be available later on, or would you rather wait until the day before they're released to find out that Apple's making them?

Another cool feature of shake: Distributed rendering... I don't know if this was in the original application, but it seems interesting...

Class

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2003
TX
Sidenote:

"Apple has also lowered the price of DVD Studio Pro 1.5 to $499 (US), and customers who purchase and register their copies of DVD Studio Pro 1.5 starting today can upgrade to DVD Studio Pro 2 for an Up-To-Date shipping and handling fee of $29.95 (US)"

You can atleast play with 1.5 for awhile instead of waiting till August if you dont already have FCP.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
what's with the eye?

what is with the rainbow eye?

kind of cliche and reminds me of the photoshop 7 logo

the requiement for shake requires quite a big display (Display with 1280-by-1024-pixel resolution and 24-bit color).....

does that mean you can't edit on a powerbook without an external display?

kind of suk for the 17 inch.... if you can't use shake on it's beautiful display.....

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ah!!!

The distributed rendering uses Rendezvous!!! That's cool...

Only stuff this cool can come from Apple...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.