DVD to iPhone, iPad, & AppleTV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewMacFan2011, Apr 27, 2012.

1. NewMacFan2011 macrumors member

I just got a program that can transfer my DVDs to my Mac in different formats. I can easily check off "iPhone", "iPad", or "AppleTV" each of which is saved into a different size (most likely depending on the standards of the device).
    I have saved a movie with the iPhone standards & it looks great on the iPhone but is grainy on the AppleTV (expected). Is there a universal size that I should transfer it to so it will show up great on all formats? I hope so because right now I am transferring each DVD into 3 separate file formats for viewing on each device. ie. iPhone, iPad, AppleTV.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

What model of iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV do you have? Are you willing to live with a single larger file that can work on all 3?

3. NewMacFan2011 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone 4S (16GB), iPad 2 (16GB), AppleTV (Gen2? Newest HD version) & Macbook Pro (500GB 2011). I was planning on storing all of them on the Macbook Pro & import/export to iPhone/iPad depending on storage space needed on each device.
    Yes, I can live with 1 larger file for all 3 (would that be the best given my large storage on the Macbook Pro). I guess The primary objective is being able to watch all DVDs on the AppleTV at best quality. Right now I have an AppleTV rip playing on the AppleTV through the Macbook Pro on "Home Share", is that the best approach. It still looks the same as the iPhone version I tried, by the same process, before my original post.

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

You can select the AppleTV preset and create a single file that will work on all 3 devices.

I'm not sure what program you're using, but I can recommend that you use the free program HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr) and select the AppleTV preset.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I use handbrake and I select Apple TV2 and then click on Web Optimized. Everything normally works out great then.

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I use Handbrake and the Apple TV preset. Works great on iPad, iMac and Apple TV, and iPhone.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, DVDs are only 720x480 pixels. Setting it for Apple TV settings alone will be sufficient since all iPhones can play video at that size.

If you're ripping Blu-Rays you have to start caring about things like what iPhone version you have, but from DVD just pretend that your Apple TV is your only device and you'll get something everything else can play too.

8. NewMacFan2011 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I am doing the Apple TV versions right now with MacX Ripper Pro and it seems to be going great except for a few DVDs. Now if there was only a way to store them in the cloud to steam from any location.