DVD Update Again

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Re: Last message..

Do I detect a short useless message in order to get another notch on the posting counter?? ;-}

[ed note: it was deleted... as it also didn't even make sense]

Re: Topic..

I wish they would have said what the change was.. probably some small little eency-weency little bug that wasn't caught until after 3.1.0. Anyone have access to developer info on what it was all about? 5 MB downloads are pretty harsh for -.-.x updates.. (specially for the poor dialup users)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
according to spymac (hahahaha!) the new release fixes a big problem when people using the graphite theme opened the player... it reportedly caused the program/puter to crash

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Spymac's right

Tested before and after on a cube. It's true, graphite messed it up before the update. It's funny how Apple could miss such a big bug.

bighagz

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2002
What the update actually does.

"DVD Player 3.1.1 adds features for DVD authoring, including the ability to select and play the contents of a 'VIDEO_TS' folder from a local volume. This update also adds AppleScript support for selection and playback of DVD content. A Script menu makes it easy to add and run custom scripts. Also new is a 'wide' layout for the info window and various stability enhancements.."

:rolleyes: Jeez. I can't believe you even bother to look at spymac :p.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: What the update actually does.

Originally posted by bighagz
"DVD Player 3.1.1 adds features for DVD authoring, including the ability to select and play the contents of a 'VIDEO_TS' folder from a local volume. This update also adds AppleScript support for selection and playback of DVD content. A Script menu makes it easy to add and run custom scripts. Also new is a 'wide' layout for the info window and various stability enhancements.."

:rolleyes: Jeez. I can't believe you even bother to look at spymac :p.
Unfortuately, that's what the previous update said...

arn

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002

:rolleyes: Jeez. I can't believe you even bother to look at spymac :p. [/B]
:rolleyes: Jeez, your very first post and you already have your foot in your mouth.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
One user reported on OSX.macnn.com that he thought the 3.1.1 update fixes a bug which caused slow frame rate on playback of MPG in the Quicktime player.. hmm.. Quicktime and DVD App.. aren't they basically totally separate realms? Seeing how Quicktime doesn't play MP2 video and all..

http://osx.macnn.com/news.php?id=13001

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
One user reported on OSX.macnn.com that he thought the 3.1.1 update fixes a bug which caused slow frame rate on playback of MPG in the Quicktime player.. hmm.. Quicktime and DVD App.. aren't they basically totally separate realms? Seeing how Quicktime doesn't play MP2 video and all..
I'm using DVD Player 3.1 at the moment and DVDs are unplayably choppy when played on an external monitor with my TiBook. However, they play fine on the LCD. Maybe this somehow ties into that choppiness issue. I will install the update later and see if there's any improvement.

MPEGs (still) play fine in my Quicktime player, though.

Alex

crush7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2001
Germany, Heilbronn

"DVD Player 3.1.1 adds features for DVD authoring, including the ability to select and play the contents of a 'VIDEO_TS' folder from a local volume.

Does this mean that I can just copy the contents of a DVD to my HD and play the movie from there? If so, I guess we'll all soon have large external HD drives with firewire and a DVD collection on them . Cool.

;)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Okay lads & lasses, my hypothesis in the above post was incorrect. No changes to the DVD player's ability to play full-screen on an external VGA display on a TiBook. HOWEVER, what I just realized was that the player CAN play full-screen on an external VGA display if that display's resolution is 1152x870 or below. I was trying to play in 1600x1200, and no dice. I used to be able to with version 3.0 (or whatever the version was that came before 3.1).

I would like to tell everyone in advance who was going to ask "Why on earth are you trying to use DVD Player in 1600x1200?" to bite me. :)

The Finder reports that DVD Player 3.1.1 is 13.1MB; DVD Player 3.1 was 11.8MB. So either changes in the player were substantial or Apple has introduced yet more code bloat into their software. (Knowing Apple it's probably #2. Sorry, couldn't resist the cheap shot.)

Alex

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Found this

On a german website:

Babel Fish Translation, In English:
DVD Player under OS X does not like grey (06.03.2002) a reader of maclife made us attentive on an interesting bug in the new DVD Player under OS X. If one changes the accent colour over in Aqua from blue to graphite, the DVD Player announces a system error when starting.
Even if one starts and during operation switches the program, it is terminated immediately. We could reconstruct the phenomenon on our editorships Cube 450Mhz unique. Therefore we advise against the update on 3.1, if as accent colour graphite is to be preserved.

This was, of course, talking about 3.1. 3.1.1 fixes this.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Isn't the new player incompat. w/ hardware DVD-decoding B&W G3's? Did this update fix that issue as well?? As a previous owner of one of those fine machines, I have a special interest here.

blakespot

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
well - i just lost the ability to play DVDs on my Yosemite cause of this damn update... how can i get that ability back now?

markseaton

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2001
mac mad man
DVD UPDATE

Hey i don't have DVD on my comp but i know of a bug in all the versions that are out there, Apples DVD player can not read dual layered DVD's!!, when it switches from one layer to another it crashes i have tested this on lots of DVD's, one such DVD is Shrek can some one test this for me? i will do so tomorow at work and get back to you all.

The crash happens on the men in tights dance/fight robinhood section

RitchieDeMan

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2002
UK
Re: DVD UPDATE

Originally posted by markseaton
Hey i don't have DVD on my comp but i know of a bug in all the versions that are out there, Apples DVD player can not read dual layered DVD's!!, when it switches from one layer to another it crashes i have tested this on lots of DVD's, one such DVD is Shrek can some one test this for me? i will do so tomorow at work and get back to you all.

The crash happens on the men in tights dance/fight robinhood section

I've not had any problems playing dual Layer DVD's in my iMac.:)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by gandalf55
well - i just lost the ability to play DVDs on my Yosemite cause of this damn update... how can i get that ability back now?
I have the previous version of DVD Player.app (3.1) sitting in my trash right now if anyone wants/needs it. Just message me, I guess.