Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Sony, along with several other manufacturers, is developing and implementing the new Blue-laser DVD technology soon. It looks very promising, although I personally am more interested in Toshiba's "Advanced Optical Disc" technology, which is just another way of using the blue-laser DVDs. Toshiba is predicting a rewritable, double-layer DVD format that can hold 40GB! The question is, since Apple is so invested in the "superdrive," will we see them adopting this obviously superior technology once it becomes readily available?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
They probably will adopt it slightly before the players that support the new standards come to the large markets, much like DVD players and Apple adopting the Superdrive.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I agree with the previous post. If it is truly a good product and functionally viable, Apple will adopt it. But compatibility is a key function.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
It is my personal belief that Sony is actually developing this technology for the PS3 b/c they are going to want it to last quite a while, and this would allow them to fit a ton more info on a disc, thus allowing not only backward compatibility with the PS2 and 1, but also a longer life for the system. Right now, the PS2 is not only falling behind with its processor and graphics card, but also the storage of the CDs they use. There have been rumors that the PS3 will have an entire new type of media, thus eliminating legacy support, but I doubt it. That is their strong point right now, the reason that they are so easily on top. If they can get read-speeds up high enough, which it appears that they can, I think that we are seeing their new optical technology for the PS3. Toshiba, on the other hand, is just trying to provide competition and is focusing mainly on the computer market (since they are the ones focusing on trying to make RWs)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This is a message from the future.

Wow it just one big technology circle. I just saved the sum of all human knowledge onto a cave wall with new holographic blue laser technology. I am in prison for copyright infringement and theft of intellectual property. To bad. I was planning on taking that cave wall off the planet before the aliens invade (again!), before another meteor hits, and before the sun explodes tomorrow.

Enjoy your “new” technology. ;) and keep the information free.

Last edited by Eniregnat on 01-23-4005 at 06:17 PM

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Eniregnat, I must say that I hadn't smiled much all day, but with your reply and an away message I saw a minute ago, I actually laughed. Thanks for the funny boost (and yeah, I know that this is a rumor and discussion room, but I just had to say thank you).

Originally posted by Eniregnat
This is a message from the future.

Wow it just one big technology circle. I just saved the sum of all human knowledge onto a cave wall with new holographic blue laser technology. I am in prison for copyright infringement and theft of intellectual property. To bad. I was planning on taking that cave wall off the planet before the aliens invade (again!), before another meteor hits, and before the sun explodes tomorrow.

Enjoy your “new” technology. ;) and keep the information free.

Last edited by Eniregnat on 01-23-4005 at 06:17 PM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.