Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've run into problems with dvdbackup and dvd2onex. The problem is that when i double click on them to run i can see the dock expand for a split second and it start to open but then it doesn't. Anyone have any hints? I have the new 15 al powerbook.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Are you using Stuffit Deluxe 8? If so, trash it and use Stuffit expander 7. Stuffit Deluxe 8 destroys permissions... unless you feel like using CHMOD.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Probably from the Aladdin site.

Also, I haven't much success with Dvdbackup. I suggest using OSex.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Yes i did use stuffit 7 when i was using 8 before but it still doesn't work. I tried repairing permissions and creating a new user to see if it was the libraries which were messed up and none of that worked. Any other suggestions?
Excalibur313

snyzch

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
london
more of the same-ilar

im curious bout this as well. somewhere between 10.2.8 and stuffit8 being installed ive found some random programs no longer open. not many, just a few. i never would have thought stuffit8 had anything to do with it, but ok, maybe i should look into this.

ive repaired permission, run disk warrior, drive10 etc and so on. ill look into uninstalling stuffit8 (i have a feeling its more complex that just throwing out the .apps.....)

anyway, further advice, ideas, are appreciated. thanky.

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Removing 8 isn't as easy as just dragging it to the trash can.

You need to remove all the hooks in the system folder as well. The issue is that the engine removes the executable bit when it extracts the app.

After deleting the folder from Applications run this in terminal:

sudo find / -name "*uffit*" -print

to find out where the stuff is. You can alos delete as part of the find command but if you're not careful you can also hose yourself....

once it's all gone, reinstall 7 and things should be back to normal.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
What i did was have a friend of mine send me the stuffit 7 folder and i ran stuffit and just dragged the file to it. So this won't work. If not then where can i find a stuffit installer? I haven't had luck finding it on aladdins site.

snyzch

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
london
the solution

as from aladdin in their forums:
http://www.aladdinsys.com/support/techsupport/forum/viewtopic.php?t=295

get this file, a script to drop your no longer working app on. it will restore executable permissions (ive used it, it works fine)

ftp://forJS:911files@ftp2.aladdinsys.com/support/JS/FixPermissionsOnPackages.sitx

you can also put the script in your
/Library/Application Support/StuffItCM DropBoxes/ folder. this will make the script show up in your context menus when you ctrl click on the app in question under stuffit/dropboxes.

apparently this is a problem only with .sit and stuffit8, not .sitx

enjoy.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Yeah, this is a huge Aladdin screw up. I originally thought my OS was screwed up and did a format before. Thanks Aladdin!

snyzch

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
london
zildjian: yeah no doubt. what more important feature could aladdin possibly have gotten wrong??

excaliber: send me a pm with your email addy and ill send you the file, its tiny.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
alright so i got it but when i drag expander onto it it says that the permissions weren't repaired. What gives?
Thanks,
Excalibur313

snyzch

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
london
dont drag expander onto it. drag the applications that wont open onto it. it fixes them all nice and good so they work again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.