DVI laptop output to Displayport input of LED Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by griffariff, Dec 3, 2008.

1. griffariff macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro Model: A1260 and it has the DVI video out (I bought it 3 weeks prior to the new model... grrr!). I want to know if I can adapt from my DVI output to the Displayport input of a new 24" LED Cinema Display... actually what I really want is dual 24's but I don't think is in the budget, nor am I sure if the laptop is capable of it. I am running at 1440 x 900.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. You can't do that... yet. There are no adapters. And you can have dual external monitors. Google Matrox DualHead2Go.

3. griffariff thread starter macrumors newbie

VGA In Only

The only downside to that piece is that is has a VGA input. If eventually somebody offers the DVI to Displayport adapter, it would seem a bit wacky to downgrade from DVI to VGA and then convert up from the DVI out to Displayport. I wonder why Matrox doesn't have a DVI in on that as well... besides to save a few $$ on a connector...

4. Marcink macrumors newbie

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Triple aside, the dualhead comes in analong and digital versions, nullifying the need to go down. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The thread is a bit stale; there are DVI->DisplayPort adapters now available. Just search Amazon.

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

No, no, and a thousand times no. These allow you to connect a DisplayPort OUTPUT/connector to a DVI INPUT (most likely by the simple pass through of a DVI signal generated by the video card -- that's how Apple's existing adapter works). The OP needs to go in the other direction and as others have written there appear to be no such products. In fact, I'd guess that there might never be any such device (convert a DVI signal to a DisplayPort signal) because it would probably be cheaper and easier just to buy a new video card that directly supports DisplayPort. Of course, you can't do that on a MacBook (change the video card) but that's just a fact of the matter and not a justification that such a device should exist.