DVI monitor output from a MirrorDriveDoor G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgeezer2, Dec 19, 2008.

1. macgeezer2 macrumors newbie

I have a MDD G4 dual 867mhz mac and want to use a new LCD monitor. It has both VGA and DVI inputs. The female DVI output in the G4 looks like a weird cross between a DVI-A plug and a DVI-I. What is it? and what is the actual output...digital or analog or both? What adaptors would I need? Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a good feeling that's an ADC port. You'll need one of these.

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Does it look like this? If so, it's not exactly DVI; its Apple's proprietary ADC. It uses DVI for video but also provides power and USB for the display. If you search around on eBay or some of the various Mac stores (Smalldog and OWC come to mind) you might be able to find an ADC to DVI adaptor.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

AFAIK, the correct term for the G4's DVI port output is DVI-D, which is digital......you should NOT need any adapters other than a DVI cable.....

On my QS w/ a Radeon 9800Pro (which has both DVI & VGA outputs), I have it connected to an HP 22" widescreen w/DVI, and it detects a digital input signal notta problemo

But yes, you could be looking at an ADC connector, which IS somewhat odd looking compared to all other DVI connectors :p

5. macgeezer2 thread starter macrumors newbie

DVI monitor output from a MDD G4

Thanks, but it ALSO has an ADC port. The manual refers to the presence of both a DVI and an ADC port. Right now i'm running a CRT out of the DVI port with a DVI to VGA adaptor.

6. macgeezer2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that I have figured out how to attach a photo here but if it works what is clear is that the female port is not an ADC, it resembles a DVI-D in that it has a horizontal slot and two short vertical slots to the left of it. But it also has two pairs of "holes" above and below the horizontal slot, which makes it look like a DVI-A port. My understanding is that DVI-A is basically a fancy word for straight analog signal (i.e. more or less VGA). Hopefully the photo shows up.

Attached Files:

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

8. macgeezer2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Blue! The link you provided has answered the question!