DVI to HDMI connected to LED TV and no sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrtomwolf, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mrtomwolf macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 17" Macbook Pro and have connected my DVI to HDMI and into my new Sharp Aquos Quattron and cant get any sound.

To be more specific when I connect my cable to the computer and then to the TV and then go into my system pref's on the "Monitor" category its seeing my TV but when I click on "Sound" its not seeing my TV in both the "Line Out" and "Line In"

I went into the "Audio MIDI" setting in my utilities to see if it would fine the TV there and no luck.

On most of my friends computers you plug in the cable and the switch is basically seamless. The computer screen basically shuts off and the control is not on the TV which does not either seem to be the case with mine though I can someone, dont recall how I made this work but can get the images on my TV.

Not to sure if this has anything to do with it but I have noticed a few times in the past month or so that I will turn my computer on and not be able to turn the volume up or down on its external speakers. The only way to get this to work is to plug in a pair of headphones, turn the volume up and down and then disconnect them.

2. simsaladimbamba

It is not DVI what you have, it is called "Mini DisplayPort":
    from
    Anyway, did you make sure, the MDP to HDMI adapter you have transfers audio?

PS: One thread per topic is enough. If you realise, your thread is in the wrong sub-forum, just use the REPORT BAD POST button ([​IMG]) and ask for it to be moved.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

DVI doesn't carry audio. You have to connect the audio separately.

4. mrtomwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I made a mistake. I bought a "KANEX" MDP to HDMI with Audio Support cable from the Apple store and this is not working. After I had this problem with not being able to recognize Audio I went to a friends house who was using his MacAir in the same way and it was working on his without any problems. We then connected my machine to his cable, not the one I purchased and to his LED TV and still not seeing anything showing in the "Audio" area of the system pref's?

5. mrtomwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I made a mistake. I bought a "KANEX" MDP to HDMI with Audio Support cable from the Apple store and this is not working. After I had this problem with not being able to recognize Audio I went to a friends house who was using his MacAir in the same way and it was working on his without any problems. We then connected my machine to his cable, not the one I purchased and to his LED TV and still not seeing anything showing in the "Audio" area of the system pref's?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is interesting that Apple explicitly refers customers to the Moshi Mini DP to HDMI adapter ($34.95 US) and to the Griffin rather than to the KANEX. All three adapters support audio/video. The question then is "Does your model MacBook Pro support audio over Mini DisplayPort?"

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

IIRC that happens when your MBP thinks digital audio out is connected as you can't adjust the volume for digital audio output.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Not sure why the quoted post above says the MDP to HDMI adapter from Monoprice does NOT support audio from Macs that pass audio through the Mini Displayport. The article explicitly says it has audio support:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

I use it with my Early 2011 MBP (with Thunderbolt) and it passes Audio just fine.

For $6.65 you can't beat the price..