DVI versus HDMI for a monitor + video games

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by breathesrain, Mar 8, 2010.

1. breathesrain macrumors regular

I've searched a great deal through Mroogle, and I've come up with a few displays that meet my needs (preferably 150$ or lower, HDMI so I can plug my Xbox 360 in, not too big or too small for a college student, etc), and then I realized that I could find better/cheaper monitors if I went without HDMI. Would it be a pain to use an HDMI->DVI adapter? I know they exist and all, but I'd imagine there would be problems with the whole audio thing...I saw an adapter that separated out the audio (to analog, I assume) and it was expensive, but I could be missing something.

The monitors I'm deciding between are a 21.5" Dell or a smaller and a few different Hanns-G monitors with lower resolution that are a bit cheaper. As far as I can tell, both Dell and Hanns-G get good reviews (though Hanns-G is somewhat unknown).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-0921

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=hanns-g_monitor-_-24-254-046-_-Product

I could probably post this in some video-phile site, but they'd say I should pay a lot more (150$ is my absolute limit for the actual monitor) and I'm fairly comfortable here at Macrumors :) There seem to be plenty of threads about various displays, but I wanted to ask about these specific ones and about the HDMI to DVI feasibility. I'd be running the monitor from an Arrandale 13" MBP (hopefully), if it matters.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the adapter you saw was probably going from DVI to HDMI, and adding the audio in, which is why it was so expensive. probably had a usb sound card built into it which wouldn't work for the xbox anyway.

the video portion of the signal is identical in DVI and HDMI, so to switch between the 2 is basically as easy as having different ends on the cable, as long as you don't care about the audio.
    check out monoprice.com (they're down as i write this, but normally have great prices) but a google of "HDMI to DVI" came up with several options under $20

with the 2 monitors that you posted, the Dell doesn't appear to have speakers, and the hanns has speakers, but "they suck" (according to one reviewer). so having the HDMI probably isn't a big deal.

according to this there are RCA analog outs,
    you would probably be much happier with some powered speakers, and the right cables and adapters.

3. breathesrain thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking for something that extracted audio from the xbox's HDMI, because the audio would default to going through that and if I used an HDMI to DVI adapter, the audio wouldn't pass through. I have separate speakers I was planning on using. I suppose I can just stick with the slightly more expensive HDMI displays and avoid all the adapters.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

can't you just pull the audio directly from the xbox?

5. breathesrain thread starter macrumors regular

There are the default two RCA cables, but I don't know if they'll work while using an HDMI cable and it's not worth it to buy the setup just to figure out. I was curious if anyone has done this before...if not, I'll probably just go for the less-complicated setup.

Of course, I still have a few months before I buy any of this, so I guess I should wait. But it's fun shopping for expensive bits of technology :)

6. waw74 macrumors 68030