DVI vs HDMI for MBP external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hehe299792458, Nov 7, 2011.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I have an external monitor (dell u2212hm) and it accepts both HDMI and DVI. The resolution is 1920*1080 so it fits within HDMI's specs. I mostly read texts (webpages, documents, etc).

On which cable would I get a better (clearer, sharper, etc) image?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I've got a similar setup. I find that the DVI cable gives a MUCH sharper image. The HDMI cable tends to muddy the text up.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

digital is digital there is no difference.
    I would take HDMI if you are out for buying a cable. Smaller connectors less clutter and it works for TVs too if you ever want to connect the notebook to the TV. If you have neither cable at home get a HDMI.

If there is muddy text something else is wrong. If the connection is bad you get artifacts but not muddy text.

5. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I think that most monitors (and computers) apply some sort of adjustment for hdmi singals to make them better for movies. This just makes text worse. Not sure if this happens on osx, hope not.....

6. Freyqq macrumors 601

Technically, it should be the same. However, there are all sorts of standards issues with hdmi that make it about a 50-50 shot that everything will work correctly. DVI is virtually a 100% chance that all will work correctly.

7. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

So, are you saying from experience, or from theory? Because I can tell you that there most definitely a difference. I've tried multiple cables and settings, but it's as if the HDMI signal is compressed.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Both but more theory than experience as I obviously didn't test countless of monitors. I only got 3 well 4 with the TV but two don't support HDMI.
    The signal is coded not lossy compressed.

It could be your monitor has some profile settings that change depending on input. It is odd as usually only analog got seperate profiles but possible. Usually there is slider for sharpness and only one value is perfectly sharp. You might want to adjust that if it is muddy text.
    There are also websites that help you with putting settings as close to perfect you can get with different test pictures.

9. safelder macrumors member

DVI over HDMI

I've used both with the same monitor and the same MBP. The DVI gives a noticeably sharper picture and is FAR more reliable when it comes to connecting/disconnecting/waking/sleeping/etc. The only downside that I've found is now I have to plug speakers in to the MBP as well (whereas before I could connect the speakers to the audio out on the monitor, and run audio through the HDMI).

10. Warbitrary macrumors regular

hehe299792458, I have a question relating to the display you have, but I don't want to hijack the thread so I sent you a PM.