e-Ink is generally better than IPS screens for pure reading ... Right?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Adamantoise, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be doing a lot of reading this holiday season (Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones series) has gotten really addictive :)), and I really don't want to deal with the weight and hassle of carrying the books around.

So I am considering an e-reader or a tablet. I must state that I have absolutely no expectations of the product besides being used to read e-books.

I have my Macbook Pro for all my computing or media consumption needs.

I just want to know which technology is better for e-reading ... e-Ink (Kindle) or IPS (iPad and the other tablets)

Thanks.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Many people prefer the e-ink as being easier on the eyes, but it's really a matter of preference. I love reading on my iPad, however, I also use it for a lot of other activities, including my work. That said, if all I needed was an ereader, I would not have spent so much money.

3. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's the thing.

I bought my dad an iPad because he wanted one, but personally I do all my computing and media consumption on my Macbook Pro.

However, reading has become such a bloody hassle (these books are huge for no reason, and I have needing a backpack to carry them around) ... So I want to buy an e-reader just for the convenience.

I am looking to spend as little money as possible ... Is the Kindle Touch the way to go on this one? I really want a natural reading experience so I'm looking into e-Ink

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I love reading on my iPad but I've been really looking at the Kindles as of late and I'll probably pick up their base model with special offers. At that price point I'd be silly not to at least try it out.

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have two e-readers (Kindle 4 and Sony PRS T1) in addition to my iPad. I prefer reading books on e-ink, but these things are really just about personal preference.

If you're only going to read books without much need for additional functionality and you want to not spend a lot of money, I think the Kindle 4 (non touch) is a good option. If you're willing to spend a bit more, I think the SONY PRS T1 is wonderful - but it's had a few 'birth issues'. They seemed to have been corrected with the latest firmware update, but it's a bit early to tell yet.

I read pdfs and work literature on my iPad because my e-readers don't offer the functionality I need for work. My iPad is wonderful for that purpose.

6. madat42 macrumors regular

You just answered your own question. Get the Kindle Touch or even the standard Kindle - you can't go wrong with either as they do exactly what you're wanting them to do.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yep! You answered your question yourself.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I have both an iPad and a Kindle. I prefer the Kindle for reading, yes. The screen is just like an old fashioned paper book ;)

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I love my new Kindle and it's far easier to read than on the iPhone. The size of the screen is the most obvious, but the e-ink of the Kindle is easier on my eyes than the screen of the iPhone. I am sure it holds true with the iPad as well, minus the size.

10. jdiamond macrumors 6502

Beyond IP/eInk issues are resolution and weight

I use both and am not so hung up about eInk vs IPS, since I spend so much time looking at a computer screen. But there's two other factors to consider - weight and resolution. I find I can just about handle holding up a Kindle or Nook Simple Touch for long periods of time (a half pound). I think an iPad would kill me unless I propped it up with a holder.

Also, if you're reading technical info (as opposed to, say, a fiction novel), I find resolution matters. For me, the current iPad2's resolution is worse than a typical eReader, although it's screen has a little more pixels. This is because the pdf viewer on the iPad doesn't reflow the text, so it looks quite pixelated.

I own a Nook and Kindle, but I'm desperately waiting for the mythical high resolution iPad3 because I've found for reading technical articles with graphs and small text, 2 megapixels is needed, but I doubt I'll be able to hold one up that long without a stand, so no reading in bed. ;) Also, for elaborate pdf's, I find none of the eReaders reproduce the charts perfectly. So for me, eReaders rule for recreational reading, but for serious reading (like textbooks), I need the larger format.

I share your pain of lugging 26 pound books in a backpack. :)
    - Jeff

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I wouldnt want to read on my ipad, its just too heavy to hold for me.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

The one thing I find really nice about reading on the iPad is reading at night. I can sit up in bed and read at night without turning a light on, therefor not disturbing my husband. :D On the other hand, reading an iPad while sitting outside in the bright sun is not easy.

13. astrorider macrumors 6502

One other factor in the iPad's favor is magazine reading, due to the larger screen size and color display.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I really enjoy National Geographic on the iPad. They have done an excellent job in creating an iPad version.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Only problem there is that a lot of magazines have to be censored in order to comply with App Store regulations.

16. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I bought a Nook Simple Touch a few months ago with the idea that an i-ink reader would be better for me than the iPad (mainly since it seemed there would be less distraction).

Well 3 months later I have read exactly zero books on the Nook. I guess I have spent far too many years looking at backlit LCDs as the e-ink just seems dull to me, with not enough contrast.

The last book I read, Jobs biography, was on the iPad. That said I do find the iPad a bit heavy for reading. I'm thinking of trying a Kindle Fire mainly as a reader.

Keep in mind under the bright store lighting I though e-ink looked great. If my usage was going to be under lighting conditions like that, or outside in the sun, I would like e-ink a lot more.

Michael

17. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny you'd mention that. I just bought the Nook Simple Touch a couple hours ago!

I'm really impressed with the thing, it's pretty darn light too!

Thanks to everyone. Dilemma solved!

18. fjanderson94 macrumors member

Future ipad

Is the technology there for apple to create an iPad with two displays ontop of each other? The current one and then e-ink? My sister has a kindle and reading on it is easier and more natural but I would pick my iPad over her kindle anyday.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I believe there is a company which has working prototypes of such technology, yes.

21. fjanderson94 macrumors member

That would be awesome. Do you know at what stage the prototypes are at or what company?

22. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I have both now, the cheapest Kindle that I use with no cover and don't worry about scratching, and the iPad 2. During the day nothing beats the Kindle for pure book reading. Super light, great battery, and it's all about reading. When it gets dark, the iPad 2 in landscape mode does good enough - I like that it has two-page view in Kindle app vs Android devices that just have ugly single-page view. Makes the 10" size worth it when you don't have to hold it.

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Pixel QI is the company. More info on it and how it could be used by Apple here :)

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Everyone who says iPad is too heavy to hold, especially those of you who use it in bed, have you tried propping it up with a pillow?

25. palpatine macrumors 68040

kindle six inch is the way to go. pick one up at the store and you will see :)
    i prefer kindle to ipad anyday for reading ebooks. pdfs? definitely the ipad. there is nothing wrong with the ipad screen, but for reading, eink is just better.