Eagerly awaiting my replacement 24” iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scottyboy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. scottyboy macrumors newbie

This is my first post here and I have been using these forums the last few weeks for information. I thought I should post this just incase this might be useful for someone. Warning - gradient issue post ahead... but I really want a happy ending.

I bought my iMac 24” about 4 weeks ago from Australian online apple store. Yep it had the dreaded gradient problem. I didn’t even go looking for it – it was pretty obvious. Anyways apple picked it up as a DOA. A week after it was picked up I was just notified it is being shipped today. Its coming from China so hopefully have it early next week.

If the new one has the same issue I will have to look at my options. Most likely try and get my money back and get a refurb iMac. I really don’t want to do that because I love the new iMac.

Fingers crossed – will let you know how it all goes.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im glad to see that apple had a fairly quick turn around with your faulty machine. think positive, and think about how good that big screen is going to look sitting on your desk!

3. scottyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I got my replacement iMac yesterday.

This machine still has a gradient but does not seem as bad. It is more of the yellow tinge other users talk about that runs more down the middle.

I am disappointed, yes, but it is not as noticeable as the first machine. The whites on either edge seem pretty much the same where as on the first imac the right whites where a lot duller.

The other thing I noticed is the dvd drive is a Lot quieter than the previous one.

So what I am I going to do? I am probably going to keep this one. I just cant be without a machine for another 3 weeks with a chance of getting a the same problem. I absolutely love the machine - its just this one problem. If apple ever acknowledge a fix or people report that their replacement panels fix the problem - then I will take it in for a replacement panel.

I don't want to go back to a refurb imac - i love the alu. I don’t want to get a mac mini with a D*LL screen - drop in specs. There is nothing else I really want.

Apple have been fantastic with customer service - and i am sure they would return this machine in a heartbeat. It has been a very painful experience - from pure excitement after a long wait for my first brand new imac to sheer frustration.

So what I hope is that I don't keep looking for the problem and that I don't notice it when in general use. If that is the case then I will be 100% happy.

4. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet if you had gotten your replacement iMac as your 1st iMac, you wouldn't have noticed the minor gradient issue.

Enjoy your iMac.

6. scottyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you could be right. Last night I was just having a great time setting it up and in awe of how great the machine is .... then occasionally looking for the problem because i know its there!

With my first machine everytime I went to use it, it stood out and bothered me. I couldn’t even keep it turned on knowing I wanted to return it. With this one I am keen to upload my old data and get to using it .. the screen isn't bothering me which is a good sign! I occasionally went looking for the problem last night. I will give it a couple of days of proper use to see if it starts annoying me. I am pretty sure/hoping this will be a keeper!

7. rainydays macrumors 6502a

My last replacement was a lot better. But after about a month of use it became just as bad as the rest of them. Which makes me suspect even more that it's an LCD inverter problem.

I hope it's not the case for you.