Early 2008 MacBook (4,1) upgrade to SATA 2 or SATA 3 SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Veradun, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Veradun macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm currently using said MacBook in my sig, which performs admirably well considering it's now pushing on 5 years old. However, it comes with the stock 120GB hard drive and 2GB RAM, and its age tends to show during bootup times, application startup times and multitasking in general (just Chrome, MS Outlook and iTunes at any one time).

I already know I will be upgrading the RAM to 4GB. I know the my MacBook supports 6GB but I have 300MB free RAM typing this right now so I won't use up all the 4GB, let alone 6GB. So 4GB it is.

What's got me confused, however, is the SSD upgrade. Mine only supports SATA 1 speeds, so it can't take advantage of SATA 2 and SATA 3 speeds. Are there any advantages of SATA 3 SSDs over SATA 2 SSDs apart from speed? (Reliability etc) If not I'll just go for the SATA 2 SSD and save myself a few dollars.

Would you recommend the Crucial v4 (SATA 2) and the m4 (SATA 3)? I'm only looking at 128GB capacities since this laptop will become a backup to my main one.

Thanks!

2. callmerui macrumors newbie

in my opinion, you should get the most reliable ssd. I am using the m4 for more than a half year now and I do not complain about the speed :) Also I went for the m4 based on the reliability (spec and user-reviews). I do know the the old ssd that uses sataI and some sataII are not very reliable since they uses very unstable controllers.