Early 2008 MBP with 27" LED Cinema Display+DVI-MDP adapter...quality or crap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maneoke77, Jul 27, 2010.

1. maneoke77 macrumors newbie

I've been craving the 24" LED for awhile, and it's good I waited (though will have to wait even longer for September!) for the 27" to be announced.

However, all pre-unibody MBP's do not have the Mini DisplayPort. Meaning you need a third party adapter to plug it into the DVI port, like this one or this one.

I have heard from some people that the quality wouldn't be genuine, or there would be issues such as flickering. Is this true?
    I would like the true answers to this preferably from some of you who use an adapter or converter and a pre-unibody MBP.

I've also found out that the max resolution you can display using the converter is 1920x1200, while the display's native resolution is 2560 x 1440.

I'd prefer not to have to buy a whole new Mac just to be able to get the best picture quality out of the 27" display, and will purchase another company's monitor if that's the case.

Thanks.:D

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

it doesn't look like you can get over 1920x1200 on that converter. i would actually look into getting a new computer as the one you have right now, if i'm not mistaken has thee 8600m gpu that is prone to failure.

3. maneoke77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are talking about the nVidia failure, right? I don't think mine has that problem...for a few weeks it was having constant kernal panics, but the issue was not due to faulty hardware. I simply did an Erase and Install (and restored with Time Machine) and all has been well.
    Just want to confirm this is what you're referring to.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 27" i7 iMac, but don't have the cash right now. However I can spare $1000 or so on a high end Dell or NEC 27"-30" display.