Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smartool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well...

I think I've exausted all options. I've been roaming the net looking for a solution to this thing that some call The Black Screen of Death, but I couldn't find a way to get my particular problem solved. You know, It turns on, makes the chime sound but the screen stays black, just like when it's off. I've tried reseting the PRAM with all the cables but the power disconnected and it didnt work. It took it to Genius Bar and after connecting it to a different monitor and not getting anything on they told me it could be a graphic card or a logicboard issue and it could cost me almost 1000 bucks. Needless to say I dont have apple care as I usually dont have extra money to buy something else after a over-priced computer purchase. Dont get me wrong, Apple makes great computers in my opnion, but it's just wrong this notion that Apple cares, they get you hooked and you gotta bleed to pay the price. In the Genius Bar guy opinion I should buy a new one and of course be smart/rich enough to buy apple care. I asked if this issue could be caused by something I did, they said: No, it just happens. - Well, though luck. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna try to fix it myself, I just have to find and buy a cheap working graphic card and if it dont fix it, a logic board. they all seem expensive... Anyway, I'm so frustrated... I'm posting this hoping someone could give me a different perspective on the issue... I remember when I bought this iMac I was so excited, it was my first one and I made such an effort to save up money for it, but it was all worth it. well, not anymore.

Dpock

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
When you turn it on does the screen stay black, or do you get the grey screen first with Apple logo first, and then it goes black?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It stays black.

Which GPU? Can you connect an external monitor and get it working? If not it's probably the GPU. If it's the Nvidia 8800GS some are still being replaced out of warranty. There are several threads on this issue.

If not, there are ATI 4850 and 2600 GPUs on ebay that might work on your iMac. The surgery is not for the faint of heart but I've known a could of folks you've done it and many Apple authorized service centers (AASC) will perform the work if you supply the part.

Cheers,

Last edited:

smartool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
It's the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory. I don't know if it's same you're talking about. The Genius Bar guy have tried to connect to another monitor, but we couldnt get anything. Do do you think I could get it fixed for free?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It's the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory. I don't know if it's same you're talking about. The Genius Bar guy have tried to connect to another monitor, but we couldnt get anything. Do do you think I could get it fixed for free?

Most likely not. The GT120 is not part of the nvidia line that had so many failures. Also, the inability to get an external monitor wkg may be a good sign. ebay GPUs are not too expensive.

Sometime AASCs are cheaper and willing to try a few swaps to figure out exactly what's wrong (the one's I've used usually charge about an hour in labor).

If all else fails sell it for parts as is and get a new or refurb unit. At least you'll get something and the base iMac is pretty powerful these days.

Cheers,

smartool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
bad news... I took it to the Apple store again and actually it's the Logic board. (sigh) At least thats what they tell me. I'm gonna try to sell the parts, thats actually a good idea... do you know any web site besides ebay that would be a good place to sell them, or like you said sell it as is?
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.