Early 2009 White Macbook: Upgrade from 4Gb to 6Gb? Any other upgrades recommended?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexjholland, May 2, 2012.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey

I have a White, 'early 2009' Macbook. I've already upgraded it to 4Gb RAM, with a 750Gb/8Gb SSD hybrid Seagate drive and OSX Lion.

I use it for music production - specifically Ableton Live - and it runs great.

I'd like to get it tip-top and have heard I can upgrade to 6Gb (or possibly even 8Gb?) despite the Crucial website claiming 2 x 2Gb is my max.

What is the maximum RAM for my machine; and what would you recommend, considering I use it for music production/DJing?

Many Thanks!

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The maximum RAM for your model is 6GB. Maxing it out is going to deprive the RAM of dual-channel capability (two identical sticks needed), which, however, doesn't do much harm. I'd go for more RAM instead of faster RAM, especially since your MacBook's video chip uses 256MB of your RAM for video RAM.

Considering the currently low RAM prices, though, you should go for 8GB, of which only 6GB will be utilized by the system (8GB will still be shown in System Profiler). This way, dual-channel capability will be maintained.

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

You think that will be the best performance all round; and definitely an improvement on my 4Gb?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That Macbook can see and use all 8Gb if two 4Gb sticks are installed.

5. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh really? All 8Gb of DDR2 ram will be accessible?

Well, that's my decision made!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the late 2008 white Macbook (post firmware upgrade) was the first plastic Macbook to be able to use 8Gb of ram.

7. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Woohoo! That, with my hybrid drive and generally super-clean organisation and I'll be on top form! Thanks!

8. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502