Early 2011 Hi Res anti-glare vs. New Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Jun 16, 2012.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I was wondering if anyone out there has had the opportunity to compare the MacBook Pro 15" Hi Res anti-glare screen to the new MacBook Pro Retina screen? I have both in front of me at this moment and the hi res antiglare really does look good by comparison. Would appreciate input from anyone else. Thanks.

2. Greg M, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

Greg M macrumors 6502

I'm debating the same choice. I'm leaning towards the antiglare along with the ability for user upgrades. SSD's price is dropping like a rock. I can see me having an antiglare MBP with no DVD drive and 2 512gb SSD's along with whatever the unofficial max ram turns out to be. All for substantially less than the maxed rMBP.

3. cruggles macrumors regular

Also interested - I currently have a 15" hi-res antiglare and thinking about retina. It's all about the screen for my usage.

4. tim100 macrumors 65816

i had a anti glare mbp and now have the rmbp. there is no comparison the rmbp clarity is nothing like any computer screen i have seen, it is the best screen i have ever had.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I currently have an early 2011 high end MacBook Pro 15" with the high res anti-glare. I added a Crucial M4 256GB and an OWC data doubler with a 750GB platter drive. I was sure In could not live without the retina screen in this new RMBP. It is indeed beautiful but been doing side by side comparisons all day. The high res really does look very good by comparison. Not better but still very nice screen. Thought I would sell it and keep the RMBP. I just don't need the extra storage and I like the reduced weight so I may still make the switch. Have a few weeks to decide.

6. cruggles macrumors regular

Thank you

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

The retina is a shocker! Just drop dead beautiful screen. Side by side as I look at them I guess it is just a matter of preference. The HR anti-glare really does hold its own though in my opinion.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Can you take some pictures of the two side-by-side? I have a pre-unibody MacBook Pro now, and I'm curious how glossy the retina MBP is in comparison.

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Sure. I will as soon as I get home.

10. cruggles macrumors regular

It would be great if you could post a photo of the two (hi-res and retina) sitting side by side with a sunlight window or a lamp behind you so we could get an appreciation of the glare.

Thanks in advance

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It seems like the Retina MBP should win out in terms of detail, viewing angles, contrast, and black levels. If however you really like the antiglare, the RMBP's glass screen can't quite match it.

12. Vctr macrumors regular

Plus people might like the fact that the antiglare screen is brighter than the retina display ... to each his own.

13. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

14. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Even from that distance it's not hard to tell which is the superior screen. The retina looks just gorgeous.

15. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I'll try another closer

16. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Although I'll be able to do the very same comparison on Tuesday (when my rMBP arrives), please could you put the rMBP in 1650x1080 mode?
    Theoretically this should mean both have the same scale/real estate.

17. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

[​IMG]

Both at full brightness, RMBP scaled to 1680x1050. All the lights on I had.

18. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Thanks for that. How do you find the comparison when in the 1650x1080 mode?

19. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

It is a hard comparison. If you get your nose up to the screen the RMBP is better.Text is razor sharp. At any normal viewing distance it is really hard to tell the difference in the text. The Hi Res MBP has a brighter screen by a bit. The colors on the RMBP pop a bit better. Blacks are blacker, grays are grayer. Of course on the Hi Res anti-glare there is no reflection. The biggest difference to me is glossy vs. anti-glare. That's what I perceive the most. Both screens are outstanding. The retina does not win by a knock out but it does win. Just my opinion with them both sitting in front of me.

20. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Just now found this article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-5...a-look-how-much-the-new-macbook-pro-displays/

Has some screenshots to answer just this question.

----------

I think for me the best thing is the even higher option of 1920x1200. Tried this in store and it was perfectly usable IMO. As a software dev I find having a more real estate very useful.

21. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I didn't have it side by side, but I played with a display model at Best Buy at the 1680x1050 scaled resolution. As a frequent user of hi-res glossy 2010 Macbook Pro, I can say the Retina looked much better. It wasn't the pixel density that won it for me though, it was the color reproduction and viewing angles. Even in your picture posted in this thread, the Retina's colors seem far more vibrant and realistic.

22. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

My experience is that the Retina (like any IPS) looks really nice, but I find the glare far too distracting. The "less glare" doesn't mean "you will experience glare less often"; it just means "the everpresent glare is not as bright". It's still plenty visible, and if you found it distracting before, it's still distracting. (And still causes eyestrain.)

Basically, if I had to choose between them, I'd take the antiglare screen, but if an IPS matte screen were on offer, I'd take that.

23. 50thVert macrumors regular

This. I held the two side by side in the brightly lit Apple Store and the reflection/glare was WAY worse on the rMBP. I honestly couldn't tell that it was "less reflective" than the 13" MBP across the table.

The rMBP screen is definitely sharper than the anti-glare high-res, but in terms of glare, the anti-glare high-res is still king by a large margin.