Early 2011 MBP 13´base model overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolidSnak3, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SolidSnak3 macrumors member

So i bought one of the first MBP 13 2011 model ( 2.3 i5, 4gb ram) and the fans are crazy loud. Example: when i m watching a normal video on youtube ( normal quality not HD) the cpu temperature goes up to 85+C watching a 3min HD video is almost impossible due to how loud the fans get.
    My question is: how can i contact apple about this? will they fix this issue? it hasnt been a year since i bough it so i think i m still under warranty ,is this correct? anyone else having this problem?

Thank you for any helpful replies!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless your computer shuts down, you aren't having a heat problem. There are countless threads on this overdiscussed issue already. Search next time.

3. SolidSnak3 thread starter macrumors member

my bad :/ so there is no solution to this problem? the thing is that i was at the apple store today and i tried the mid 2011 base 13 model and the temp did not go above 60c while watchin a video full screen on youtube, i mean wtf?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

1) bring it to an apple store. Explain your problem
    2) I don't know
    3) yes, it's still under warranty
    4) all MBPs get hot when performing demanding tasks. Unfortunately playing flash videos is a demanding task.

Most people here will tell you that it's normal. If you think it is not, e.g. because it gets hotter than the same model in the apple store, you should have Apple check the MBP.

5. TheIguana, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

This is probably because Flash is not installed on Macs at the Apple Store, thus those Macs would be using HTML5 video rather than processor hungry Flash. HTML5 x.264 video gets to rely on hardware acceleration support and thus uses less processor cycles, meaning less heat.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

This has been covered over and over again. Flash hogs up your cpu that is why of increasing cpu temperatures. HTML5 video doesn't. If you are using safari, try clicktoflash plugin to play youtube videos thru HTML5.

7. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Any picture quality difference when playing video though HTML5 vs. Flash?

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

just try it, go to youtube.com/html5

not all videos play, that's the biggest downside currently. Those who play, I think the quality is very similar.

9. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

What problem? Does your computer shut down? If the answer is yes, then there is a problem. If not, then there is no problem. Problem solved ;)

Laptops make A LOT of heat when doing demanding tasks. As others have pointed out, flash video is one of them.

10. aCondor macrumors 6502

You must have some really, really powerful fans.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't worry, your computer is fine. It's not over heating, that's just how it is. If your computer shuts off, then it's overheating.