Early 2011 MBP 15, upgrade to 16gb and 500gb SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prochembro, Feb 25, 2013.

1. prochembro macrumors newbie

2. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

Go for both: Crucial M4 + 16GB RAM

I went for both: first I installed a Crucial M4 512GB SSD to my early 2011 15" 2GHz MBP; which I had bought with 8GB RAM.

The SSD completely changed my computing experience; the amazing IOPS throughput of the M4 made it fly, & I am a power user running Snow Leopard for my professional photography business. (Lion & ML have too much issues for me, I need a stable & secure environment)

Lightroom suddenly became very useable; contrary to what a popularly quoted website states the SSD somehow helps in the 1:1 rendering process since the access times are reduced by several orders of magnitude.

Yesterday I received & installed 16GB Crucial RAM; literally a 4 minute job. I am using a RAMdisk as a scratch for Photoshop eben though it is the SSD that does the muscle work; & the program really flies.

Do the SSD upgrade if you have the dough handy; I can't recommend it enough; you will feel like you have bought a new machine;
    the 16GB RAM upgrade from 8GB is not so important for 99% of users……& I can prove it by getting you to watch your page outs after a restart & a day of work.

Hope this helps,
    JF

3. kensic macrumors 6502

all these "APPLE certified" labels are bull crap!!! the labels let them charge us more.

so when choosing COMPATIBLE components, bring back to the basics.

look up the specs required for each component

example. 1 - memory requires ddr3, 1600mhz---- then buy them with the same specs. "NO NEED FOR A STUPID LABEL THAT SAYS APPLE CERTIFIED"

example. 2 - harddrive required sata, 2.5" form factor----then buy them with the same specs. "NO NEED FOR A STUPID LABEL THAT SAYS APPLE CERTIFIED"

as for QUALITY... that's all from if the company has been around for awhile, and reviews and such.

i have seen too many innocent people falling for "apple certified" labels and end up paying for more.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Go for it but for the love of all things sacred. STAY AWAY FROM KOMPUTERBAY RAM.

5. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I did the crucial m4 and the 16gb Corsair RAM upgrade and it's the best investment I've ever made. Perfect compliment to my early 2011 MBP, See specs in my sig.

6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The KomputerBay RAM had too many bad reviews for me. I went with the Corsair a few months back and its been fine. Make sure to run memtest after you install it though.

Also be aware that you can't install a SATA III SSD in the optibay and expect it to be reliable in a 2011 uMBP-15, they had fairly well documented problems. It may work, or it may not, or it may only work intermittently.