Early 2011 MBP fan is dying. Can I oil it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casteiron, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Casteiron macrumors newbie

I'm overseas and can't exactly take it to Apple. It's out of warrenty anyway. The left fan is getting slow and spinning at a max of around 2000 rpm. I've just taken it apart and cleaned everything but it's still slow and noisy compared to the right fan. Is it possible to use clipper blade oil to oil it? Would that be a bad or acceptable idea?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

So this is something that would be applied to the blades themselves? I don't know how helpful it would be as opposed to simply cleaning them, but a quick Google search suggests that at least some "clipper blade oils" are electrically conductive? Maybe some danger there as it gets splashed around?

Normally, when I think of oiling fans, I think of oiling the spindle, but I don't think that's possible here? I think the cap is attached to the spindle on all of these? It wouldn't be as simple as pulling the sticker back, but maybe still possible to drill a hole?

You can order these fans too. You don't have to take it to Apple. (If you're planning to take it apart to oil it, you have the skills to replace it.)

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Fans are cheap, ~$10. Check ifixit for the part number, an then search that to find a cheap one. Usually iFixit and PowerBookMedic have good prices, ifixit is a bit more expensive.

4. c1phr macrumors 6502

You're better off just getting a new one. Oiling it is potentially more dangerous if it leaks after you put it together, difficult since it's likely sealed and ultimately might only be a temporary fix.

5. Casteiron thread starter macrumors newbie

$60 bucks for one fan on ifixit. But luckily I found 'em online here for the cheap. Sweet. Thanks all!

6. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

It's easy to oil the fan on the MBP. Just pop off the 'O' key, fashion a little funnel out of tinfoil, and pour about 1/2 teaspoon of peanut oil in there.*

Or buy a new fan. I'd buy a new fan.

*Don't do this.

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Yeah, sometimes iFixit prices are decent, but usually are overpriced (as much as apple repairs sometimes). eBay's better priced a whole lot of the time. Hope your repair goes well!

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I can't help but think of the 4chan advice about getting free games on Xbox One's right now :D