Early 2013 MBP w/ Retina VS. Oct 2013 MBP w/ Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JUiCEJamie, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find a thread about this just yet. But I can't really understand the spec bump between the two models.
    I understand that they're always just an incremental upgrade, but is it only the Iris Graphics that's been added in the newest model?

Does anyone know anything else different in the 13" models released this week?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look at this thread New Retina MacBook Pro Models Showing Up in Benchmarks to assess how the new MBPs are fairing against the old models.

Haswell brings to the table, a better iGPU, better power effeciency, i.e., longer lasting battery, and incrementally faster processing power. Additionally the new rMBPs include Thunderbolt 2 and while there's no TB2 devices yet, its definitely positioned for the future.

I'd not consider this a spec bump because its a new chipset, new DGPU, thunderbolt 2 etc. Its a nice upgrade from its predecessor imo.

3. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Cheers buddy! - I've also just found this too.. I was so busy looking the forums, that it was on the home page! haha.

"The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro now features dual-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 2.6Ghz, with Intel's integrated Iris graphics for 90 percent faster performance than the previous generation. At an added cost, the 13-inch version can be upgraded with 2.8Ghz dual-core Intel i7 processors."

4. Thalin macrumors member

I've been researching this a lot as i'm in this position with the 15". I'm not an expert. At all. This is just what i've read - there is little to warrant an upgrade from the early 2013 machine. You loose the dGPU unless you opt for the more expensive model, which is already pushing you £300-400 more than the base. The CPUs, at least with the base models seem very similar in performance, and the increase in battery life is nice, but with the new OS on the early 2013 machine you'll get a battery boost anyway apparently. You do however get the faster hard drives.

Edit: Didn't realise you were referring to the 13"!