Early 2013 rMBP Wake from sleep / Monitor issues HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I have my early 2013 15" rMBP that is 2 weeks old hooked up to my Samsung 27" monitor via DP to MDP connection and 50% of the time (literally 4/8 times) it will not wake from sleep and I have to hold down the power button to restart. I will double click a key on my Apple BT keyboard, the rMBP and monitor will "wake" from sleep but both show black screens. Even when I remove the USB hub, MDP, and mag safe it remains unresponsive. Same thing after I close the top and reopen. Ive already reset the PRAM, but not the SMC. Any suggestions? This is frustrating the heck out of me. FYI I am running Mavericks after a clean install from an SD card.

2. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its now done this two more time tonight. I'm thinking I should just exchange at BBY now?

3. UnexpectedHuman macrumors newbie

I have had similar problems with a Mac Mini after updating to 10.9.0.

In my case, this is because of a bug in the lock-screen when using an external display. The lock-screen is the one that asks you to enter your password when waking the computer from sleep or the screensaver.

You might be able to clear the problem by entering your password (blind!) when the screen is blank (hit return once, wait a few seconds, type the password, then press return).

Until Apple fixes this bug, you can avoid the problem by disabling the password lock in System Preferences ("Security and Privacy" panel, "General tab", "Require password after sleep or screen-saver").

4. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ill try that and we'll see. Now it does it every time (w/ password). UGH.

5. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

W/O password same result. I even reset the SMC this morning too. Any one else have any idea what this could be?