Early (3.0 i7) vs late (2.4 i5) 2013 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gametime10, Nov 21, 2013.

1. gametime10 macrumors regular

Does anyone know the difference in performance and features between the top-spec early 2013 13" rMBP and a mid-spec late 2013 rMBP? These are the two models I'm deciding on and the other specs are identical. Price is pretty similar too. I do some light gaming in addition to typical browsing and MS Office.

2. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

Given your uses (nothing very intensive), I don't think you will notice any real world difference between the 2 processors. Both are dual core and you may only notice a difference in very intensive tasks such as video encoding (must profess I do not know the exact benchmarks of each for comparison)

My advice would be that, for your needs, go for late 2013 for the following reasons:

Better graphics performance for light gaming
    Better battery life
    it's shiny and new and will have full warranty
    Faster SSD (as its PCI-e)
    It's newer so will hold it's value better whenever you choose to sell/upgrade

Even if the i7 in the early 2013 is faster (not sure if this is the case), you would get zero benefit given your usage.

FYI I have the mid range late 2013 and it's amazing and fast, I would def get that, you won't be disappointed.

3. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Actually, I can tell you personal experience, the performance difference, if there is one is not noticeable. I ran a late 2012 rMBP 13" i7 for about a year, and upgraded to the 2013 rMBP 13" i7 when it came out (for the 16GB of RAM, I run a lot of virtual machines).

Performance wise, there is 0 noticeable difference.

4. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow... Good to know. Especially since you run virtual machines. Any difference in terms of graphics/games?

5. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Uhm... considering the high caliber graphics users in this forum, both for gaming and professional design --- I have to be very careful answering. I do not play computer games (at all), and... ahem, really don't care about graphics -- personally that is, no judgments. I am a back end software engineer, I need a portable, lightweight, but strong config == rMBP 13 with max ram, cpu.

So for what it's worth, the pictures look the same to me..