Early 5G rollout in Indianapolis gives city wireless advantage

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
root-beer.blogspot.com
Looks like my area will be getting 5G before a whole lot of other places. Sweet! Here's hoping that they'll be spreading out to the surrounding counties, as well since that's where most of the people who work in Indy live. Covering just the city would be a huge waste, since everything around here is regional. On the up side, AT&T, my carrier, will be leading the way and has already been sinking money into the area infrastructure for years. Now, if they could just get me a better signal strength at my house and Apple could make me a 5G iPhone by the time they've rolled it out!

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70572-early-5g-rollout-in-indianapolis-gives-city-wireless-advantage

The latest buzzword in mobile is 5G—the newest generation of wireless service that immediately promises more speed and better connectivity for smartphones, internet-connected devices and even autonomous cars.
But 5G is about more than speed. Experts call it a transformational technology that could eventually mean unprecedented battery life for devices (think a month before charging your smartphone) and lag times shorter than the blink of an eye, making videoconferencing as good as broadcast TV.

And nowhere in the country will 5G be more available than it will be soon in Indianapolis, where both Verizon and AT&T—which have the nation’s two largest wireless networks—are rolling out the technology by year’s end. Verizon, however, is phasing in 5G—starting with residential wireless before expanding to mobile.
Not only from a technological standpoint, but from a public relations perspective, this is a really big deal,” said David Love, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue University.

“It tells you that Indianapolis is being mentioned in the same breath as Austin, the Bay Area and other tech epicenters,” he said. “This is enormously important for the city of Indianapolis and the state.”

In fact, Houston is the only other city in the country that will have 5G service from AT&T and Verizon this year.

Love said the early rollouts will help the metro area recruit talent and new business—especially in the tech sector. “People and businesses definitely take notice of these types of developments,” Love said. “It’s big news.”
The G in 5G stands for generation—as in generation of wireless technology. And with each generation, new capabilities have emerged. In the 1980s, the first generation allowed mobile phone calls for the first time without a rare and expensive satellite phone. In the 1990s, 2G allowed text messages. In 2000, 3G allowed voice, text messaging and email as well as some web browsing and apps. In 2010, 4G allowed video on mobile and other devices—which gave rise to the popularity of services such as YouTube.

But experts say 5G is different.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Like I can’t wait an additional nanosecond for a webpage to load when I’m away from home?

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
yessss; i am going to run to my Apple Store and buy my $1200 iPhone without 5G and next year i am going to resell it.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
root-beer.blogspot.com
yessss; i am going to run to my Apple Store and buy my $1200 iPhone without 5G and next year i am going to resell it.
You could. 5G isn't going to miraculously appear overnight in any locale. I doubt it will even be widespread in the Indianapolis area in 2 years. Apple, and the other manufacturers delaying implementation of 5G in their phones, are doing it to keep costs lower. Why have 5G on a phone this year when it's not available anywhere? I'll be happy when it shows up, but I'll be patient and cut the companies lots of slack on implementation in the meantime.

dear carriers,
i need more data, not faster data.
I couldn't agree more. Hopefully, they will all get the message that with faster delivery we will need more data and act accordingly.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Like I can’t wait an additional nanosecond for a webpage to load when I’m away from home?
5G has the speed and throughput to replace wired broadband in your home as well, which would bring much needed ISP competition to millions of consumers who have little choice but to accept whatever prices their cable company offers.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
Apple, and the other manufacturers delaying implementation of 5G in their phones, are doing it to keep costs lower. Why have 5G on a phone this year when it's not available anywhere? QUOTE] and how is this keeping costs low working?
... Why have 5G on a phone this year when it's not available anywhere? QUOTE] another way to look at it is why buy a new phone till it has 5G. An old format phone, bought during these transition times will have no resale value.

fourthtunz

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Looks like my area will be getting 5G before a whole lot of other places. Sweet! Here's hoping that they'll be spreading out to the surrounding counties, as well since that's where most of the people who work in Indy live. Covering just the city would be a huge waste, since everything around here is regional. On the up side, AT&T, my carrier, will be leading the way and has already been sinking money into the area infrastructure for years. Now, if they could just get me a better signal strength at my house and Apple could make me a 5G iPhone by the time they've rolled it out!

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70572-early-5g-rollout-in-indianapolis-gives-city-wireless-advantage

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
root-beer.blogspot.com
We have heard the same, tired old nonsense every time there has been a rollout of a new cell technology. It's really rather tiring. Cell phones, and the "towers" associated with them, do not cause cancer. And the new 5G "towers" are really unobtrusive, as that video shows. They're about the size of a fire extinguisher. There are always lunatics running about yelling that the shy is falling when new technology hits the market. It is, as the bard said,"All sound and fury. Signifying nothing".

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/21/mobile-phones-are-not-a-health-hazard

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-nation-indulges-in-some-particularly-egregious-fear-mongering-about-cell-phones-and-cancer/

From the American Cancer Society: "
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), these fears are unfounded.

The ACS said, "Cellphones work by sending signals to (and receiving them from) nearby cell towers using RF waves. This is a form of electromagnetic energy that falls between FM radio waves and microwaves. Like FM radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and heat, RF waves are a form of non-ionizing radiation.

"They don't have enough energy to cause cancer by directly damaging the DNA inside cells. RF waves are different from stronger (ionizing) types of radiation such as x-rays, gamma rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light, which can break the chemical bonds in DNA.

"At very high levels, RF waves can heat up body tissues. But the levels of energy given off by cellphones are much lower, and are not enough to raise temperatures in the body.""

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Well now we need phones and tablets and hot spot devices. Then, we can really cut the cord!
Don't think so, not for some time anyway, till we are able to download 1TB "affordably" from a hot spot connection

I download 800MB+ a month.... on NBN.... I wouldn't even think of doing this on cell connection, even if i was on a plan.

We have heard the same, tired old nonsense every time there has been a rollout of a new cell technology. It's really rather tiring. Cell phones, and the "towers" associated with them, do not cause cancer. And the new 5G "towers" are really unobtrusive, as that video shows. They're about the size of a fire extinguisher. There are always lunatics running about yelling that the shy is falling when new technology hits the market. It is, as the bard said,"All sound and fury. Signifying nothing".

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/21/mobile-phones-are-not-a-health-hazard

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-nation-indulges-in-some-particularly-egregious-fear-mongering-about-cell-phones-and-cancer/
The same type of studies were done on previous technologies as well as health issues. But everyone now uses it..

Maybe this time its actually something to worry about. who knows..

Last edited:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Even with Verizon's highest plan I'd love more bandwidth transfer, even if we don't make the most out of it. Also faster speeds. The US has slower mobile speeds than the rest of the developed world.