Early 6 month upgrades? Smells fishy to me. Verizon iPhone later this summer, maybe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aam07, Jun 8, 2010.

1. aam07 macrumors newbie

So why would At&t offer early 6 month upgrades? My theory is, to try and trap as many subscribers as they can for another 2 years before they loose exclusivity and Verizon gets the iPhone later this summer. What do you guys think?

It would be smart of Verizon to get their LTE 4g network fully functional and release/support a compatible iPhone on it. This would really stick it to At&t! I might wait to the end of the year to see what happens.

Thoughts, comments?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

WOW! You're the first one to post this idea! I NEVER would have thought of that! :rolleyes:

3. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Hmm

I don't think so. AT&T did the same thing last year letting people upgrade early. Yet no verizon iPhone. Why does everyone like verizon. Crappy customer service and a so so network I don't think they would be able to handle the load that AT&T is under from ipads and iPhones. But hey be funny to see them have crashes all over :D. I don't think anytime soon. Apple does not I mean if they they dis just break the contract and pay AT&T a ton of money and go to verizon. Who over charges so the money can be made back.. A thought maybe.. Had verizon and hated
    it..

4. calvy macrumors 65816

Enough With The Verizon **** Already People!!!!!!

5. Cash Regime macrumors member

Cash Regime

I don't remember them bumping people's eligibility up like ATT did this year, did they? Unless you're talking about the early upgrade discount thing.

6. Built macrumors 68020

I'm sick of the Verizon whiners.

Life is about choices, people. You want to stick with Verizon? Deal with their line of available products. Quit beating that dead horse!

7. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Sorry that's what I ment.

8. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Good point. I mean do verizon people really want there network to have tons of problems? AT&T works great Now but it took a long time. Verizon IS about the network. Imagine with the iPhone :p

9. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It's ironic you respond to every thread you see as pointless with a response more pointless than the post to which you're replying.

If it annoys you, don't use the forum.

10. tylerjamison macrumors member

Exactly. Just because people want to stick to their network and not compromise great speed and reliability doesn't mean they should be called whiners. I think everyone, AT&T and Verizon alike, can agree that the iPhone, especially the iPhone 4, is a phenomenal product and these customers cannot wait to get their hands on it. AT&T customers will have their chance first, but hopefully, and time will tell, the iPhone will soon makes its appearance on the Verizon network. For me, I just don't get WHY Steve Jobs and Verizon cannot come to an agreement. Both parties would make a great deal of money and potentially millions of new customers. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm confident there are many things going on behind the scenes. Regardless, I will continue "whining" for my chance to own one the best phone on the market on the best carrier available: the iPhone 4 underneath Verizon Wireless.

P.S.: What is the timeline for the LTE rollout on Verizon? And what is the range of an LTE tower?

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Grabbing at every little straw as a precursor for V getting the iPhone is ridiculous.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe and maybe not, but one thing is for sure.
    AT&T upped their ETF so if that was the case, it will be a painful move for anyone who upgrades.

I don't think this will be the case, even Verizon stated that the iPhone is not happening anytime soon.

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I don't know anybody's sister's uncle's niece's friend... nor is my "source" "reliable"... but I have heard September.

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Since the original iPhone was introduced many have believed a Verizon version was only a few months away and it still is.:D

16. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

x10, and then x40

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Nah, only 2-3 a week. I tend to ignore most of the useless posts and I point the dupes to existing threads.

If you don't like it, don't read my posts. :)

Edit: Come on guys, this is the exact same post for the 3rd time in 2 days. You'd think these guys would at least search on the term Verizon before posting a subject that's been rehashed over and over.

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It isn't that big of a leap on AT&Ts part. If you pay your bills on time, you're eligible for an upgrade (new customer) pricing 4 months before your contract ends.

So if your contract expires 12/31/2010, normally you can renew 08/31/2010, so AT&T is only bumping people up for 2 months and some change - not 6 months.

19. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Cell phone providers now have fanboys?

Wow... just... wow...:rolleyes:

Can't wait to see: "My cell phone company can beat up your cell phone company!!"

In the meantime, the majority of companies continue to provide less features for more of your money as they laugh to the bank.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The difference is that they are giving the full upgrades, not early upgrade pricing. So yeah, this is much bigger than they've done in the past. Last year I was only eligible for the early upgrade.