Early Edition 1.1 update to be submitted at end of week

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bunger, May 11, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

Just read GlassHouseApps Twitter feed and they are shooting to submit v1.1 bytheend of the week. The best is soon to get better. ;-)

2. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Finally! "The best" will finally get used on my Ipad. It is FAR from the best until it gets Google Reader support, which it gets in 1.1. I refused to spend all that time inputting the RSS feeds only to use my Google Reader feed in the app later. I was so pissed at myself for buying that thing without realizing it didn't support GR.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Just to make it clear for everybody, 1.1 will get GReader RSS Feed Import option. No GR sync support.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

That's good news :) I like the App but don't use it as much because of load times and no GR.

Can't wait, thanks for the information.

5. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Where did you hear that? Wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

From their twitter page,

This confirms no syncing and GR Feed import wasn't a misunderstanding.

7. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

What has Googles API's got to do with anything if other apps can do it? Confused.

8. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a bummer

9. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

10. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Just read glasshouse apps Twitter feed and they submitted the 1.1 version of Early Edition to Apple this morning...

11. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Am I understanding this correctly? That Early Edition will not sync to Google Reader? That if I hit "mark these as read" for 15 or whatever articles have appeared in EE that if I got to GR later in the day on their website or in another app that those articles won't be marked as read?

BJ

12. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

Yeah, it's only for import of your feed list, not syncing your read/unread. I think I read that syncing may come later though.

13. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

What a joke. Instead of waiting time to buy another reader.

BJ

14. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I hate to say it because I know the app gets a lot of love, but it's always seemed a little gimmicky to me. I like it for lightweight news (i.e., showbiz stuff) that I don't care much about, but for heavy lifting I use Newsrack.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with the above poster. The app is very nice no the outside but the inside is another story. It is slow to retrieve fees, no offline reading (like FeedHopper) and page turning is slow. The organization of articles has no rhyme or reason which makes selecting "all feeds" a crapshoot. I'm sure there will be improvements over time but for now its just not the best.

16. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I see it this way also. I do like the App but there is a "but" and falls down just a bit as you have mentioned. I'm hoping it improves over time, it's worth keeping around b/c if polished up some it could be very nice and a first choice.

For now NewsRack is my go-to App and going to be hard to beat.

17. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Will FeedHopper let me download, say, 514 of my RSS articles from Google Reader for offline reading in an 18 hour flight to Taipei? Newsrack? Any others?

BJ