Early termination - AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So I called AT&T asking what my early termination fee would be. Their website says I'm not available for upgrade until August of next year. The woman I spoke to told me it was $245 and then asked why I was thinking of terminating. I told her it was because I was really interested in the new iPhone. She then asked if I would be willing to stay with AT&T if they waved the fee. I said I would but I wanted to check out the phone in a store so I could decide which color I want. She said that was fine and then gave me the phone number of her manager and told me to call back, ask for her and she would take care of the transaction.

I've never done this before so I'm curious if she's giving me the straight dope or if I'm getting misinformation? Does AT&T typically waive a termination fee if you stay with them?

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

There wouldn't be a termination fee if you stay with them. Am I missing something?

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

No, I misspoke there. I guess what I'm asking is: I'm not eligible for upgrade until next August, but the phone rep offered me a new 32GB iPhone for the discounted price ($299). Does AT&T usually do that?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

From the sounds of it, she wouldn't be waiving the fee, but giving you the early upgrade price.

I'm not sure if I buy that, since AT&T seems VERY strict on sticking to the 20 month interval upgrade policy.

5. Nathan576 macrumors member

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

This is strange. Maybe she is going to cancel the account and wave the etf and then open a new account ?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

8. 617aircav Suspended

That makes less sense.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I know but what could they mean by waving the fee?

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You really, REALLY, should have done it right then and there. Lots of folks here have wanted that and could not get it. Your hesitation is going to cost you.

Then again, if you were lucky enough to get this offer, you may still get lucky.

11. thelittleappkid macrumors member

Order Status

This is what I see. Comments? PS: When I went to fill out the T&C form, it says that I have already completed it. I never did. Do you think it says that because I ordered it in store?

Attached Files:

12. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

it's not discounted that 299 is the price with a contract looks like they will just sign you up for another 2 years, and just FYI their termination fees are $350.00 i believe definitely not less than 300

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah but I'd sure like to see one before making a decision. Now I'm thinking I should have done it. :(

14. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

They are very strict about the 20 month interval, but they've also been known to give people a $250 credit to their account so it's essentially like upgrading.

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

They subtract $5 per month into the contract. So if you are 10 months into the contract etf is 300

16. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

still a rip off lol, I don't know why people still sign up for contracts, oh yes iPhones

17. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

it is also a function of the amount of your monthly bill. i have upgraded on launch day EVERY YEAR for the $199 price by re-upping with a two year contract. However, my bill is always in excess of $125 a month and sometimes $250. I was told that this does come into play on early qualification.

18. Duke&tank macrumors member

My sister got ATT to wave the early upgrade price on all of are phone numbers she spoke to one person who didn't know what she was talking about and put in the notes that there was no $250 for early upgrade on top subsidized price just the subsidized price my sister ask for her to put that in the notes so i told my sister the early upgrade mean the subsidized price plus $250 so she called again and said she wanted to make sure we would not be charged the $250 on top of the phone price and the Lady said since it is in the notes that an AT&T Rep said there would be no fees for us that would mark are account that we are eligible for an full upgrade on all are lines!!!.

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

So I called AT&T back and they said since they offered it, they're going to stand by the offer. So white iPhone 5 here I come. :D

20. psblake macrumors member

ETF's are prorated

21. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

lol either way they will get you contracts that is , you the consumer never come out the winner :D