Early Unlock? T-Mobile Compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, May 3, 2013.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Just upgraded early from my iPhone 5 on AT&T (subsidized) to the Optimus G Pro. Three questions.

1. I purchased the G Pro at full price. Will AT&T unlock my iPhone 5 now?

2. I'm going to sell my iPhone on Craigslist. If someone wants to use it on T-Mobile can they? If so they can only get HSPA+ speeds, correct?

3. In case AT&T won't unlock my iPhone, is it safe to use an Ebay service to unlock it? I purchased my iPhone before the date where it became illegal. (I believe.)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Skip the AT&T unlocking debacle and just do this https://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/at-t-iphone-12-24-hours

And, yes once unlocked it can be used on T-Mobile. A T-Mobile user will get the "full 4G experience" only if T-Mobile has refarmed their towers for unlocked iPhones. Otherwise you would need a dedicated T-Mobile iPhone to experience it.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Thanks for the link. It appears from online research that Swiftunlocks has a solid track record. Is there anyway AT&T can either find out about my unlocking or if perhaps the iPhone becomes locked once again in the future after I've sold it? Do you think I should call AT&T and just ask if they'll unlock it before trying Swiftunlocks? Does AT&T log such a request?

From a little more research it appears my iPhone will support T-Mobile LTE once unlocked however it cannot access 42 Mbps HSPA+. Anybody can confirm this? Thank you.

4. Akack macrumors 6502a

Seems like you have the original iPhone 5, meaning bought well before April 12.
    If so, your unlocked 5 will not have access to tmob 42 hspa+, but may have access to the unreliable and very spotty 21 Mbps hspa+ ONLY if the area has the refarmed 1900 band.

Here's a good summary:
    http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/taki...urrent-iphone-5-and-how-it-works-on-t-mobile/

Any unlocked GSM iPhone 5 will have access to TMob LTE if its avail in your area.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I had an exceedingly easy time with AT&T unlocking. They have a website (link here) where you give them your IMEI and they get back to you via email. I had a response within a few hours, myself.

I realize swiftunlocks is only a couple bucks, but I don't see a reason why one shouldn't at least try the official option first. It takes maybe a minute of your time, perhaps even less than the time it takes to get all of your info entered into swift unlocks.

Just a suggestion. Like I said, it went really smoothly for me.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

But I don't think I'm unlock eligible. I'm in a weird area. I purchased subsidized but have now upgraded off-contract. Also I submitted one of these for my iPhone 4 last fall and they never got back to me. I ended up having to call them to have the unlock done. Not saying it's not worth a shot but I have no clue if it would actually go through.

----------

Thank you very much for that link. Do you think it's fair if I advertise my iPhone as HSPA+ and LTE compatible with T-Mobile if and when I get it unlocked? Also do buyers ask/care if I had the unlock done by a third party or by AT&T?

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You are not eligible for ATT to unlock since you are under the original iPhone 5 contract. Switching to a new phone that you bought outright doesn't change anything. Swiftunlocks is your best bet. :apple:

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Thank you. I'm going to go that route. When listing on Craigslist do I need to specify that or can I simply list my iPhone as unlocked?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ah, sorry, I misread your post. You are right, they wouldn't unlock it for you in that case.

----------

I would say list it as unlocked. There is no reason why you should have to go into detail as to what bands the phone uses. Frankly, most users/sellers I don't think would even have a clue what that means. Of course, if people inquire, I would be honest.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

Because I purchased my G Pro full price, is it unlocked for international use? If not I believe AT&T will unlock it if requested, correct?

----------

It's important they know at least what carriers it can be used with and what speeds they'll get. When I sold my iPhone 4 on Craigslist the buyer was shocked when I told him it could not be used at Verizon. (I even said so in the ad.) Thankfully he was open to switching to AT&T. With Craigslist you need to be double sure when selling. Thanks for your link before, I'm just going to go the paid/definitive route.

11. DEG1 macrumors member

Just not true. Several cases posted here where people still under contract (myself included) received unlocks from ATT. OP - no harm in trying. I used the form and got approval in a couple days. I don't know exactly what their criteria for approval is, although I've seen several speculative posts. If you don't get approved, no problem go to 3rd party unclocking as a plan B. People need to stop posting mis-information about carrier unlocking.

12. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

blairh

I think you are being too harsh here. While you are correct that there is no harm in trying, I don't fall under the guidelines set by AT&T (they can easily be found online). I also just had my phone unlocked via the link provided earlier in this thread. It's cheap and foolproof. (I hope.)

I have no idea why someone who isn't eligible would be approved online. My guess is that that is pretty rare.

13. DEG1 macrumors member

Didn't intend to be harsh. Point is people shouldn't be discouraged from trying and should be aware that approvals do happen.