Early upgrade…iPhone 4s Question (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Helixc0de, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Helixc0de macrumors regular

Earlier this year I purchased a iPhone 4 on January 8th. The next time I can get a iPhone at the full discounted price on at&t is January 8th 2012, it there any possible way I can get the phone for $199 I have tried multiple times to get a early full upgrade but At&t contracts with apple do not allow that. Also will they do what they did with the iPhone 4 release if your within 6 months of upgrade you can get it for $199. Please I really want the 4s. I know 3 months is not that long but I love getting Apples products whenever there first released. Please help!!!!

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Consider yourself lucky. I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day and my upgrade date is in late February of 2012.

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

I'd like to know At&t's formula because I got the 4 on launch day and I'm eligible for an upgrade... And have been for a while.

4. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

Depending your payment history (Whether you make payments on time or not) depends when your upgrade is available. My will always been 1 year because I know someone at At&t. But I know it's only 3 months but I want the 4s, but I cannot afford $449 for a iPhone.

5. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

If you can't afford 449 you are probably SOL.

6. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

I can afford it with no problem. I'm not paying $449 for a phone.

7. gmiller598 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure payment history has much to do with it. I've been an AT&T customer for 6 years, use automatic withdrawal for my payments and have never been late once and my upgrade date is February. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 on launch day last year and I got mine about 2 weeks after everyone else got them on the release date.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You can not agree to a 2 year plan i January, get a big discount on the phone, and then change your mind in October.

Why is this so complicated folks?

Pretty sure nobody here has tried to run their own business.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't think it's based on payment history as much as the amount you pay each month. I bought almost a year ago and am not eligible until July 2 2012. I pay about 75 a month which is one the low end from my understanding. Thus I'm usually one of the last people eligible.

10. Helixc0de thread starter macrumors regular

Your lucky I have just one line on my account and my last bill was $229. My average is about $160-$180 a month. I just want a iPhone now…this is really making me mad.

11. vitog123 macrumors 6502

what should make you really mad is that some of those people behind the counter can change your eligibility date with a click of the mouse. They do it for all there friends you just have to find someone or pay one of them outside the store.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP. You are already on the best upgrade path. 12 month upgrade cycle since your primary line is more than $99 a month voice/data excludes texting rolling 3 month projected revenue (per ATT's calculations).

It's been 9 months since you last got a full subsidy upgrade.

So you wait 12 months? Why should ATT eat the $400 subsidy cost for another $199 subsidized iPhone for you. Most people have to wait 18-21 months.

Of note...you are going to be even more pissed because after you use your upgrade in Jan 2012 all lines (primary and secondary lines regardless of monthly bills will have to wait around 20 months to their next upgrade.

Verizon got rid of new every 2. Sprint got rid of their 12 month upgrade premiere program. And ATT got rid of their 12 month cycle in March 2011. You are "grandfathered for one last 12 month upgrade" so use it wisely.

----------

To add.

I know people get so confused because ATT made exceptions to iPhone upgrades in the past

1. 2008 (any ATT user with current 2007 original iPhone automatically qualified for iPhone 3G regardless of theirnlast subsidy upgrade). I had purchased a fully subsidize motorola q9h in May. I simply put my sim card into iPhone 2007...bam ATT let me buy the iPhone 3G for $199/299

2. 2009. After ATT customers bitched they let all users within 3 months of full eligibility get their full upgrade. So users up to september 2009 got their upgrades moved up by 3 months.

3. 2010. Special 6 month move up date. The reasons are obvious becuae Verizon was getting the iPhone in early 2011 so ATT was being "nice" to move up the upgrade date by as much as 6 months. They wanted to lock you in a contract before Verizon got the iPhone.

4. 2011. ATT is playing hardball. They are no longer the exclusive carrier in the USA for iPhones. They have no such promo like in the past.