Early Upgrade Option to New 3.0 Handset For UK 02 Customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigscotal, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Will O2/Apple provide an early upgrade option within contract?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I am sure there must be lots of folk similar to myself, that are first time iPhone owners with 3G handsets.

Do you think in the UK, O2/Apple wil provide an early upgrade ability if a new handset emerges in June?

ie. Similar to 1st gen iPhone owners, still within their contract period, upgrading to the current 3G handset last July?

(Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere)

2. Random hero macrumors regular

Random hero

I would be very surprised if they didnt offer something.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't bet on it.

The first iPhone was a special case because it wasn't subsidised, so they let you upgrade at no extra cost.

The iPhone 3G is subsidised, just like most other phones on the market. You didn't see O2 giving Nokia N95 owners special upgrades when the N96 came out so don't be too disappointed if there is no offer for iPhone 3G owners.

At the end of the day, you signed up for the eighteen month contract when you bought the phone.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

If they do, I suspect you'll basically have to pay the full price of the phone - i.e. £270, plus a new 18 month contract.

Phazer

5. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Personally, I feel they will be missing a trick if they don't offer some kind of upgrade deal.

If there is a shiny new 3.0 handset appears in June, and I can update to the latest "must have" toy while it is still cutting edge, then I would absolutely go for it.

However, if I have to sit out my current 18 month contract in full, till Christmas, then the "new" 3.0 handset is not exactly going to be new any more, and I for one will be far less likely to splash my cash on it. I don't think I would be alone in this, as by then we will no doubt be sat waiting on the next incarnation of the handset.

Just my thoughts on the matter......... :rolleyes:

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

They may, but they could make up some of their lost subsidy by tying you into a two year contract. Alternatively, they may just say "tough".