Early voting begins on gay marriage ban begins

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
�My favorite quote in the article:

"Do you want schools to teach your children and grandchildren that homosexual marriage is normal? Do you want to undergo 'sensitivity training' at the workplace to ensure that you don't favor heterosexuality over homosexuality? ... These are not rhetorical questions—these are issues that we will face if we fail to defend and protect marriage,"

In other words- "We might have to treat them as equals! Oh the horror!". I think I might puke.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mactastic said:
Bad homo! Stop ruining my marriage. How dare you demand equal rights?
I'm sorry Mr. Man! Ok- I'll go back to designing your interiors or maybe back to cutting your wife's hair! You liked me then right? :)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
leekohler said:
I'm sorry Mr. Man! Ok- I'll go back to designing your interiors or maybe back to cutting your wife's hair! You liked me then right? :)
Lol... How about adding a couture guy and a cook too? Maybe some up-tempo music?

FYI my wife and I go to the same place for haircuts. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mactastic said:
Lol... How about adding a couture guy and a cook too? Maybe some up-tempo music?

FYI my wife and I go to the same place for haircuts. ;)
Oh OK! :) Maybe I can go get on a nice innocuous sitcom too, so you can laugh at me all the time. I'm OK when I do that too right? ;) I'm sorry- didn't mean to get "uppity". I promise I won't cause no more trouble! :D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
leekohler said:
Oh OK! :) Maybe I can go get on a nice innocuous sitcom too, so you can laugh at me all the time. I'm OK when I do that too right? ;) I'm sorry- didn't mean to get "uppity". I promise I won't cause no more trouble! :D
While you're at it quit forcing your lifestyle and your agenda on me. :p

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mactastic said:
While you're at it quit forcing your lifestyle and your agenda on me. :p
Oh- I promise! If you even see me as much as put my arm around my boyfriend, you can tie me to a fence and beat me til I'm almost dead! ;) I mean- I deserve it, right? And I should really just be happy that I'm allowed to live, let alone walk down the street. I'm so sorry, Mr. Man! It must have been so hard for you these last few years! :D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
leekohler said:
Oh- I promise! If you even see as much as put my arm around my boyfriend, you can tie me to a fence and beat til I'm almost dead! ;) I mean- I deserve it, right? And I should really just be happy that I'm allowed to live, let alone walk down the street. I'm so sorry, Mr. Man! It must have been so hard for you these last few years! :D
Yeah I don't mind having to explain to my kids why Tom Cruise is sucking face with a woman half his age. I just don't want to have to explain why two fabulously dressed men are holding hands. ;)

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Dear Texas,
After I finish my undergrad work, you can suck it.
seriously.
in 2010, I'm OUT OF THERE.
It sounds like a long way away, but I don't care.
Please stop trying to legislate out the "homogay"
It's not contagious, I swear.
I love my gay friends; they are fabulous.
Best. Bass. Players. EVER!
My prom date is probably gonna be a gay guy, so CHUPALO!!!

Love,
KT

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
leekohler said:
Good for you! And Katie- get out ASAP.
Would if I could!

It hurts so much to see the rights of my friends being chipped away, bill by bill, just because they feel differently. (bad phrasing, I know)

Come on Texas, secede from the union! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

Then, I can move back to America and party party all the time.

Party party all the time. :D

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
We had an election here recently and I wrote to all the candidates to
ask what their view was on gay marriage, of those that won seats 50% (3 of 6) replied that they had no objection, 2 replied with religious objections and the 6th didn't reply but has announced his priorty in government next year is a re-draft of our human rights law.

(Our laws only de-criminalised homosexual sex in the last 5-10years and then only if you're at home with just the two of you, if you have another person in the room even just holding a camera you're breaking the law. You can have one guy and as many women as you want or just a bunch of women but it's illegal to have two men and any other person male or female even if it's two male/female couples separately having sex in the same room??)

Anyway I'm writing a letter to the successful candidates to remind those that have no objections that I have their written replies and to further lobby the 'no' and 'don't knows'.

Has anyone got a link, or perhaps their own paper, that I can use to state why same sex marriage should be allowed, obviously I'll need to edit it to fit our laws/government. If not it's just my ramblings about equal rights which won't be very eloquent I'm afraid.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mpw said:
We had an election here recently and I wrote to all the candidates to
ask what their view was on gay marriage, of those that won seats 50% (3 of 6) replied that they had no objection, 2 replied with religious objections and the 6th didn't reply but has announced his priorty in government next year is a re-draft of our human rights law.

(Our laws only de-criminalised homosexual sex in the last 5-10years and then only if you're at home with just the two of you, if you have another person in the room even just holding a camera you're breaking the law. You can have one guy and as many women as you want or just a bunch of women but it's illegal to have two men and any other person male or female even if it's two male/female couples separately having sex in the same room??)

Anyway I'm writing a letter to the successful candidates to remind those that have no objections that I have their written replies and to further lobby the 'no' and 'don't knows'.

Has anyone got a link, or perhaps their own paper, that I can use to state why same sex marriage should be allowed, obviously I'll need to edit it to fit our laws/government. If not it's just my ramblings about equal rights which won't be very eloquent I'm afraid.
Unfortunately, I don't have a link, but thanks for your efforts! They're much appreciated.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
katie ta achoo said:
Would if I could!

It hurts so much to see the rights of my friends being chipped away, bill by bill, just because they feel differently. (bad phrasing, I know)

Come on Texas, secede from the union! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

Then, I can move back to America and party party all the time.

Party party all the time. :D
Well- school will go faster than you think. Just hang in there! :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
pseudobrit said:
And quit staring at my ass.
I like it when they stare at my ass. Hey, a compliment's a compliment.:p I'm such a tease.

Anyway, I don't get the whole "anti-gay" thing. I mean, you don't like it, you don't have to do it. Even if it was a choice (which I don't think it is) isn't this still America? You can choose to smoke a cigarette, you can choose to... well, you know. The dumbest part is that most people don't care one way or the other. It's only a majority of voters who have a problem with it, because people who don't have a problem with it just don't bother voting.

Plus, if we can't have homosexuality we can't have lesbians... and that's just not right.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Well at least the Dallas Morning News is recommending a "No" vote.

link May require registration.

Admittedly they aren't using the human rights side of things to push it they are simply pointing out that it goes way beyond marriage and could affect any contract between two gay people.

But Proposition 2 goes beyond protecting the definition of marriage. The real impact of Proposition 2 will be to throw into question the legality of other sorts of contracts affecting gay Texans, many of them widely supported by society as a whole.
It is for this reason that we recommend a "no" vote on Proposition 2.
The first part of the proposed constitutional amendment says that marriage "consists only of the union of one man and one woman." Fair enough. That's already state law and has been since the state Legislature adopted the Defense of Marriage Act in 2003.
The second part of the proposed amendment prohibits "any legal status identical or similar to marriage." This would seem to undermine the ability of gay couples to enter into any partnership whose benefits stem from a recognized relationship. This is a problem.
A big problem.
Luckily this is one area where my wife and I agree politically so we're going to at least get out and vote against it in hopes that enough other people are taking it for a given defeat, maybe there will be an upset.