Early-voting for many states start today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Yr Blues, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

So I can't write-in Ron Paul 'cos I'm in Texas. Too bad. I'm thinking about Chuck Baldwin, but he's a bit much.

Texas is going McCain, but I wouldn't have minded much if it went Obama, since I dislike the racial craziness from those that back McCain—and I'm Vietnamese. :) (see yellow emoticon)

For those that can do a real write-in and aren't satisfied with any candidate at all…a simple "none of the above" will rawk as a protest.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Early voting started today in Colorado. Since I'm working the polls (not at my precinct :() I'll go later in the week and vote early.

As you can tell from my Avatar, I won't be voting for Obama.;)

3. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Love those Dems = Vote Early, Vote Often !!!

Love those Dems = Vote Early, Vote Often !!!

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nothing like a little unfounded innuendo to prove you're not just some 5-year old who can tell us what they don't like, but not what they like...

Besides, the saying is "Vote early, vote Obama". Get it right! :p

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Mailed in my ballot today. Thank goodness we have a mail-in ballot system here.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

North Carolina has a 2-1 margin of Democrats over Republicans who voted early (CNN) which is great for Obama. With 11 days, 19 hours left, and a 6.5% percent chance for McCain, Obama's probability stands now at 93.5% percent of winning (fivethirtyeight.com).

There may be a chance for a record turnout in voting and high turnouts more often favor Democrats than Republicans. Either we will have what appears to be a landslide or the biggest upset in US history. Either way, it probably won't be a nail biter like the 2000 and 2004 elections were with a projected one state victory. Talk about an evenly divided country has not surfaced in this election and for the first time since 1996, the word landslide is being used.

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Yes, but probably by only half the margin that it went GOP in 2004. I think this has huge implications in the south where Obama may pick up a few states. North Carolina and Virginia are probably safe for Obama, and Florida is an Obama state by maybe 1% percent. Georgia can go either way and only South Carolina is "safe" for McCain at this point on the east coast in the south. Senate and House races in the south may be a net pickup for the Democrats.

In 1978, the South was a Democratic voting block across the board, and had mostly been for more than a century, but by 1984, it was half and half. But from 1988 to 2004, it has been a Republican voting block. 2006 showed some cracks in the GOP's stronghold in the south. 2008 will have the south return to a half Democratic, half Republican region of the country within all its political contests. If the trend continues in the current direction, the south can become a Democratic voting block once again.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well I know early voting started in TX on Monday, I'll probably make some time this weekend to go out and cast my ballot. I need to get a haircut anyway, and the polling place is right down the street.

Of course since it is TX, I doubt my vote will make a whole lot of difference this election.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have my votes all made and ready to mail-in later today (i'm in Oregon).

A friend of mine (a Democrat) insists on dropping it off in person - after the last 2 elections she is a tad cynical...

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is great. Outside the US, Obama is pretty much viewed as the US President anyway, so you may as well make it official as quickly as possible. ;)

No idea why the votes won't go 95:5 in Obama's favour, but American voters probably get fed different news than us.

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Nice. Have you decided who you ARE voting for? Going to default over to the GOP or going third party like a few others in this forum? You've made me curious. :)

Hey, early voting is still continuing the trend of putting the Republican Party in a deficit. Some polls from Ohio have comeback pretty posititive:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/10/20/daily45.html

~ CB

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's amazing the turnout at our early voting sites in Illinois. They've been reporting in some cases over 30 minute wait times. And this is 2 weeks before the election.

So either everyone will vote early and the polls will be ghost towns on the 4th, or it will be sheer madness with the number of people trying to vote on Tuesday.

Oddly enough, there's no school that day, which seems strange.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wish we had early voting in NY. I expect the polls to be a zoo on Election Day.

I think we need to revisit voting in this country. We need to make it easier for people to vote.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Agreed. And specifically the process of voter registration.

I'm note sure voting is that difficult, except for special needs cases such as those that cannot travel to the polls for one reason or another. It needs to remain in a somewhat controlled environment (i.e., something like http://www.votenow.gov seems like a bad idea), but perhaps defaulting to being spread out over several days by default as opposed to having "early voting" determined by state.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's not that difficult, but it could be much easier and restore a lot of confidence in the system if we were to seriously reform it.

I could see a day when you register to vote and get your anonymous voter ID that you can use to vote via the web using open source software. Results will be freely available in an open database for anyone to go verify their votes (allow people to go in and change their votes at any time up until the deadline) and would also allow any individual to take the database and re-tally the results.

Simple, verifiable, open, accessible, and constantly under review via open source and freely accessible results. Not to mention no special equipment for polling locations, all they need is an internet terminal for people to come in and vote. I'm sure you can find flaws in such a system but could they be much worse than the flaws we have now with closed proprietary systems, many of which with no verifiable paper trails that we're just supposed to trust?

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While not exactly thrilled with McCain, I will vote for him over Obama. In my opinion, third-party candidates are a waste. (Although, I did vote for Perot in 1992:eek:)

I spent a few hours last week going over my blue book (mailed by the state, and covers all of the state questions and stuff on the ballot) and marking my choices. When I went for training last week the county official said that there were 38 items to vote on in this year's ballot. So I'm sure voting will be a slow process on election day.

Here are some stats about early voting and mail-in ballots so far in Colorado.

http://www.elections.colorado.gov/DDefault.aspx?tid=547

Attached Files:

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

The best way to restore my confidence in the system is not to reform the voting system, it's to reform the voters so that they're required to make informed decisions. ;)

Although I do like your suggestion, I have a feeling it will be awhile before people generally accept that type of voting process. Certainly every system has the ability to be abused, but many people (including myself, although in this regard I'm uninformed as to the types of security available) would say that online systems have a greater ability to be abused on a larger scale.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course online could be abused on a larger scale, hence the requirements of openness. Open source software and freely available results.

Of course if you're concerned about the lack of informed voters does putting an online election in the hands of a 14-year old Finnish hacker sound that much worse than letting the uninformed make the decision? Anyone who knows enough to hack the system and fix an election will probably be making a more informed decision than many, if not most, voters.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

Oddly enough, probably not.

I suppose with the electronic voting we could actually give voters who are still undecided an option to have the system randomly select their votes. Or just give them a quarter as they walk into the booth to flip with.

20. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

21. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

My wife and I just voted here in Massachusetts. Gosh. I just hope the Democrats can win here. It's looking mighty rough. Republicans are so confident, they didn't even bother to put their names on the ballot for many of the state's elected offices.

~ CB

22. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yeah, well, you live in a state where even the rural areas wouldn't be considered "real America."

23. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I guess people are very anxious to vote this year--the lines are extremely long for early voting in my county--I will wait and do it on election day.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

You and me both, then. :eek:

~ CB

25. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

In what state could you live in where your vote would make a whole lot of difference?