Earth Day 2008 + 28; Another Flash In The Pan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MikeTheC, May 20, 2008.

1. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Today I have had some errand-type running around to do and was in a couple different local supermarkets, when something struck me.

Where in the world are all the reusable shopping bags that had been all the rage, not even one month hence? And I'm not just saying "Gee, why doesn't Publix have any of them anywhere in evidence?" (though that is 50% of it), but why is it that, in none of the instances in those stores, and likewise in the instances of the three or four other stores (Staples, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.) did I also see not one single customer -- NOT ONE -- with one of those kinds of bags?

How sad is it, then, that Earth Day has become, and so obviously so, nothing more than a photo-op for stores to "look good", a sound-bite for companies to "sound good", and a moment for the the public to "feel good", but without any real or true dedication to really fixing anything.

And while I'm on this particular rant, can somebody please tell me, for the love of Steve, what the heck we're doing selling these eco-very-unfriendly "green" lights, which are nothing more than mercury-filled fluorescents which -- God forbid you should break one -- qualify for HASMAT procedures? I mean, this isn't some kind of nebulous, empty threat. You get mercury in your system and it's toxic. We shove enough of these in the ground in landfills and they really could pollute our communities. But, hey, who cares, we're all saving money. Right?

Somehow, this just seems kind of twisted from my point of view.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Please check your sources before posting. You're propagating an urban myth. Snopes has a great article on this.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp