Earth Hour..who turned there lights off?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PACMAC, Mar 29, 2008.

1. PACMAC macrumors regular

PACMAC

so did you turn your lights off for and hour for this earth hour thing?

I'm going to turn off as much as I can..from 8pm to 9 pm..

what your opinion on the climate change?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/earthhour/

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Awesome for going the extra step and turning your lights off in the morning, but the Earth Hour isn't suppose to be until 8 PM. :eek: I guess with how multinational this forum is 8 pm is already happening somewhere - like Melbourne.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

In the end does it really matter when you turn off your lights? It all adds up to be the same.

jon

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My room is only lit with the warm glow of the CCFLs of my monitor. ;)

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I heard that if loads of people (like in the thousands) turn off their lights at the same time, they can kill power plants because of the sudden voltage swing.

6. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

:D Why would anyone need to use lights 8 in the morning?

It's supposed to be 8pm OP.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Earth Hour doesn't really have any affect on the amount of power produced, only on the amount of power used.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

One of our local radio stations has announced that it will play "unplugged" music for the hour so you should turn off your lights and leave your radio on. How pathetic!!!! Trying to use Earth Hour to increase listenership!!

http://www.fredfm.ca

10. djellison macrumors 68020

Why would I? Low energy bulbs around the whole house.

I find it an utter f***ing disgrace that the UK government will partake in nothing more than a 60 minute gimmick and not actually do anything meaningful regarding poor lighting solutions and the disgrace that is light pollution. Westminster is lit up like a Christmas tress, for hours and hours and hours - all night every night all year. Tens of thousands of pounds of electricity wasted, the night sky stolen from an entire generation.

Local councils who flood light places inefficiently, with bad lighting design wasting money. Poor street lighting. Dreadfull sports facilities with dozens of flood lights illuminating the pitch - the houses around, the clouds thousands of feet above. Office buildings lit up at 2am on a sunday morning. Churches flood lit wasting thousands every year. Planning regulations that make it near impossible to install PVA's, solar heating and domestic wind turbines. sidewalk dustbins without compartments for paper, plastic, metal. Shutting down nuclear plants instead of building new ones. Public transport so expensive, unreliable and filthy.

And they have the audacity to tell me to turn off 4 low energy bulbs for a 60 minute gimmick?

Go to hell.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Actually in theory it does. It would be even more effective during peak usage hours, which 8pm on a Saturday really isn't, but hey, that's why I was congratulating the OP for going the extra step and doing it in the AM.

@djellison
    Low energy isn't no energy. Also if the "60 minute gimmick" turns into actual habitual practice, then it does make a difference.

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Earth hour creates useful discussion like this. It gets everyone thinking about how energy is wasted in our own communities. Guess it's working.

13. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Same thing for the power plant.

To everyone else. I don't think they want to reduce power consumption by turning off the lights, I think they want to make a dramatic statement.

14. buffalo macrumors 65816

I don't get it. Why 8 at night when people make use of the light? Why not during the morning and afternoon when sunlight provides enough light for many homes and and turning the lights out could last for several hours?

15. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Good one, Hawkeye, that is just so lame by that radio station.

I bet someone thought that was a really cool idea when they thought it up!

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I saved energy by turning off my grammar and spelling checkers... ;)

17. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

We'll be watching a movie by then, so the lights will be off anyway :rolleyes:

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

It's pointless doing it if you pick a time when nobody has the lights on anyway. I don't know of anyone who has the lights on during the day.

19. djellison macrumors 68020

Telling people to live in the dark for an hour is not a practical habitual practice. Gimmick's do not alter climate change. Particularly one so hideously hypocritical when central government is required in this country. If you turn off the lights that floodlight bridges and public buildings for an hour - turn them off for good. People at home can not sit in the dark. How about instead of gimmicks, governments actually take the lead and do something sensible - like replacing poor street lights with efficient, non light pollution, and most importantly, money saving designs. Or re-designing idiotic flood lighting of buildings to save money. Education, subsidized energy saving technologies. Make it easier for people to become more efficient. Don't tell them to turn there bloody lights off. Do that, and you get Joe Public the sheep thinking

"I turned off my half dozen 80watt bulbs for an hour"

Well done - you saved 480 Whrs.

Meanwhile, in one evening, by running energy efficient bulbs for 5 hours instead of incandescent bulbs - I'll use not the 2,400 Whrs of mr 'turned my lights off' - but 420 Watts. I'll use less in the whole evening than the idiot thinks he's a hero for saving in an hour. Meanwhile, he's still used 4 to 5 times more power than I have even with his black out. And I've not sat in the dark like a sheep.

It's a short-sighted gimmick that puts out the wrong message about what people should be doing or how to take responsible decisions for environmental responsibility.

Doug

20. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I barely turn on my lights in the first place. But I took a quick glance at the dorm parking lot and almost everyone is gone i guess they're doing their share?

21. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Ill use my laptop of its batter for an hour

woooo

i helped save the enviroment

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you are not going to recharge it? Wont it do more good to just close the lid for an hour.

23. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

no ill charge it from 7-8pm

and then unplug it

and then use it off battery

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But you will still use more energy to recharge it after. Defeating the purpose.

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Haha. I fell asleep with the TV on and the light on :(.

Although technically I'm only 13 minutes into Earth hour I guess I've already failed at the energy savings deal.