Ease and/or difficulty of InDesign and Photosghop

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by longball11, May 5, 2010.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I am looking to get a job for sports information. Usually they look for an applicant with a skill of using photoshop and indesign to create media guides and develop game programs for athletic events.
    I never really got to use indesign besides organizing and listing players/ rosters for teams.

Is Indesign and photoshop hard to use? Does it take time to get use to?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. Both programs are very difficult to use and will take a lot of time getting used to. Photoshop, IMO, is the more complex of the two.

Sorry... but that's just the way it is.

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I think it depends how you look at it.

Easy to use, yes. It won't take long to figure out how to put some text in a box with a picture next to it.

Easy to use well & properly, no. It will take years to get up to scratch on using it as a professional tool. On top of that it will take even more time to develop as a designer to enable you to create good designs with the professional tool.

Two sides to every coin as they say.

/Doug

4. usclaneyj macrumors regular

In my opinion, just about anyone can learn the basics of Photoshop in a couple of days. The beauty of the program is that there are a million ways to do anything you want to do, so if you have the perseverance to sit there and tinker you can eventually accomplish your goal.

I would argue that InDesign is actually the more difficult program to learn. There is just more jargon and poorly-explained-options that you have to dig through.

All that being said, I've been a photoshop user since Photoshop 5, and I've been a professional graphic designer for over 5 years now. I can say with 100% certainty that I haven't "mastered" any of Adobe's apps. Even the guys I know that are certified Adobe experts would say the same.