Easier to replace phone 5 if purchased through AT&T vs APPLE??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i heard that its easier to swap out your iphone 5 for a different one if you purchased it through at&T rather than apple

is this true?

my phone has been having some problems and i remember last year when i bought it from apple it was a challenge getting them to replace the phone with a retail box version ( i simply didnt want the ones that came in the non descript white box )

2. Mage0069 macrumors newbie

not sure what at&t told you or you have heard but my IP5 had out of the box damages when I got it launch day at the at&t store, didn't notice it till I got home becuase they stuck it in the case at the minute basically of purchase.

Called and was told that they can't do anything I have to call apple. I then called apple and was told that at&t should have replaced it but they set me up with a genius app. to get it swapped out the next week, so I wouldn't hold your breath for at&t to replace anything that has to do with the IPhone

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

they are the ones who sold you the phone though?

thats like if i bought a coke at mcdonalds and brought it back for being flat, imagine if mcdonalds said "well u need to take it up with coke" lol that just sounds ridiculous.

doesnt at&T have a 30 day return policy?

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They do have a 30 day return policy, but with a $35 restocking fee. And, if they don't have any more 5s in stock, then you're out of luck if you want to buy a new one.

In any case, it doesn't matter if you bought from an AT&T store or and Apple store and want a warranty exchange. You have to go through Apple.

A glass of Coke doesn't cost $400-$800 unsubsidized, nor are you locked into multi year contracts. :) And the LAST thing you want is some dude from behind the McDonald's counter opening up your iPhone to mess with it.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you want a replacement, it doesn't matter where purchased. You just do it through apple. If you want a refund, it's much easier if you purchased through apple since their refund policy is much better compared to carriers.

6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

so i would have to go to the dreadful "genius bar" with my apple receipts in hand?