Easier to replace phone 5 if purchased through AT&T vs APPLE??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2009
    i heard that its easier to swap out your iphone 5 for a different one if you purchased it through at&T rather than apple

is this true?

my phone has been having some problems and i remember last year when i bought it from apple it was a challenge getting them to replace the phone with a retail box version ( i simply didnt want the ones that came in the non descript white box )
  2. Mage0069 macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2011
    not sure what at&t told you or you have heard but my IP5 had out of the box damages when I got it launch day at the at&t store, didn't notice it till I got home becuase they stuck it in the case at the minute basically of purchase.

Called and was told that they can't do anything I have to call apple. I then called apple and was told that at&t should have replaced it but they set me up with a genius app. to get it swapped out the next week, so I wouldn't hold your breath for at&t to replace anything that has to do with the IPhone
  3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2009

they are the ones who sold you the phone though?

thats like if i bought a coke at mcdonalds and brought it back for being flat, imagine if mcdonalds said "well u need to take it up with coke" lol that just sounds ridiculous.

doesnt at&T have a 30 day return policy?
  4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    They do have a 30 day return policy, but with a $35 restocking fee. And, if they don't have any more 5s in stock, then you're out of luck if you want to buy a new one.

In any case, it doesn't matter if you bought from an AT&T store or and Apple store and want a warranty exchange. You have to go through Apple.

A glass of Coke doesn't cost $400-$800 unsubsidized, nor are you locked into multi year contracts. :) And the LAST thing you want is some dude from behind the McDonald's counter opening up your iPhone to mess with it.
  5. F123D macrumors 68040

Sep 16, 2008
    Del Mar, CA
    If you want a replacement, it doesn't matter where purchased. You just do it through apple. If you want a refund, it's much easier if you purchased through apple since their refund policy is much better compared to carriers.
  6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2009

so i would have to go to the dreadful "genius bar" with my apple receipts in hand?