Easier way to keep Unlimited when Upgrading on Verizon to iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chrisbkreme, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Chrisbkreme macrumors member

If you have an upgrade available on a different line and your line has unlimited data. Transfer the upgrade from the different line to yours and purchase the iPhone 5. Your plan will remain the same but the different line will be extended to a new 2 year agreement.
    You can hit the transfer upgrade button on verizon's website and preorder the phone on my current phone w/unlimited and it will only affect the contract on the phone you take the upgrade from.

Asked in another thread and received these replies:

2. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone else confirm this will work? Ive read a couple conflicting things.

3. EricSjos macrumors member

This is correct. I got off the phone with a Verizon rep who told me the same thing.

4. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

This seems to make sense and is what I am hoping to do, but I will let someone else be the guinea pig.

5. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

I am hoping this works at 3:01am EST haha. Anyone else ask Verizon?

6. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

NO! Don't do this!!! Don't transfer the upgrade to your line. Order it on the other line and then when it comes, activate it on your line. If you transfer the upgrade to your line before pre-order, they will force you off the unlimited plan when checkout time comes, you'll be asked to choose a shared data plan.

Again:

Line 1: Smartphone
    Line 2: Dumbphone (upgrade available)

Upgrade to iPhone 5 on dumbphone and add the 2GB Data plan (not family shared plan). When it arrives, activate the iPhone 5 with your line and cancel data plan and you will keep Unlimited plan.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

+1 - Follow this method, don't transfer if you have unlimited data.

8. cedunn21 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure this is too good to be true and they will force it off unlimited one way or the other :(

9. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to activate it on the dumb phone when it comes or can I just activate it on my one with unlimited?

10. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

11. Doctorsti macrumors regular

are they forcing people off the unlimited verizon data if they buy a Samsung Galaxy SIII? For example would it be possible to buy a GalaxySIII, sell it for 500 or so and then buy an unsub iPhone5 to keep unlimited?

12. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I was told and I have read once you purchase an LTE device at a subsidized price you have to switch over to share everything. If you purchase outright, you can keep your unlimited plan.

13. fdsadfsadd3 macrumors newbie

Wait, I'm confused; I thought that if you upgrade to the iPhone 5, they force you to have share everything plan whether you have individual or a family plan? SOMEONE PLEASE CLARIFY