Easiest/Fastest Way To Clean Memory on Late 2013 MBP Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JordanLB23, Jan 6, 2015.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

Title.

I have memory clean, and it says I have 12 gb to clean, but when I clean it, nothing happens.

Is there anyway for me to check if I have any useless files on my computer that I don't need? Specifically cache type files, files that are more hidden. My applications are clean. I just don't know why I have such little gb left.

Also is there a way to delete songs in iTunes without having the "!" come up? I had an option ticked to allow iTunes to organize the music library but I realized this duplicated a lot of tracks. What is the easiest way to go about deleting the duplicated tracks, but not having the "!" come up? I currently have my music organized in my own library so I don't need the iTunes music library, but the majority of my songs in iTunes is rooted to the iTunes music library and not my own.

Thanks.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do you mean RAM or Hard Disk space?

If you are on Mavericks or Yosemite then the easiest way is to stop cleaning the RAM and just leave the OS to manage it. OSX shouldn't run with empty memory, its just a waste, if it needs memory (RAM), it will just take it from an area/app not in use.

If you mean Hard Disk space then you should just remove data files you can identify, deleting cache files can be dangerous (the system created them for a reason), or the system will just recreate them.

The exception I would say is Monolingual which will remove language support you will never need, even so I saved about 3GB IIRC.

Once you have removed any files, remember to empty the Trash else the files are still taking space...

3. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

How come over time lets say I just turn on my mbp it has 20 gb, but after a few days it will dwindle down to like 10 or 5 gb? What's eating up all that space?

Also my internet has been pretty slow tonight, I am not sure why. My roommates internet is working fine. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to find out what the problem is on my macbook pro?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cache, swap, sleepimage, temp files, application data - could be anything, what do you do with it? What apps do you usually run?

You should keep 15-20% free space to give the OS working room, sounds like you are well below that....

Is your roommate torrenting? Seeding? using the net heavily? Any of those could reduce the bandwidth available to you...Get him to disconnect from the network, disconnect any smart devices (phones/tablets etc), then see if the internet is slow when connected by WiFi and by ethernet cable, only then can you decide if the is any problem at all and we can look at if/where the issue might be...

5. alex0002 macrumors 6502

You are not providing very much information, so we are going to have to guess. Perhaps you purchased a MBP retina with 4GB of RAM, so when you have a few programs running, OS X pages inactive data to a swap file?

Even with 8GB or 16GB of RAM, there can be some paging to swap files:

Code:
    $ du -sh /private/var/vm/swap*
     64M	/private/var/vm/swapfile0
    1.0G	/private/var/vm/swapfile1
    This space in the SSD is not reclaimed until you reboot.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Another option which is more comprehensive is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Generally speaking your drive could be filling up with local snapshots, or cache or the swap file as mentioned.

7. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

I have this thing pop up every time I download something in Chrome. It says do you want to extract this with RARGENIE?

I can't seem to find it on my mbp but I remember one of those annoying ads auto installed something really quick or something I miss clicked.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use Adware Medic to scan your Mac and rid it of adware.

9. alex0002 macrumors 6502

This probably needs a different thread, as it's nothing to do with cleaning memory or storage space, but take a look at this message thread and see if it helps. The answer from Linc Davis looks good to me.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6699015

10. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow is that the easiest way to uninstall it? It's like 30 steps

I ****ed up omg

11. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Each step should take no more than a few seconds, but you could also try this thread on the exact same subject:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1831367