Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I need to design a basement with walls and doors, plugins ect and I was wondering what is the best and easiest software for this?

Thanks

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Sweet Home 3D hits the spot 3 ways - good software, easy to use, and free. It's open source, is updated regularly, and gets used by several architects I know and work with. About 100k downloads each week can't be too wrong. I've used it for finished product on Windows, Linux, and ML/Mavericks. It's on two of my Macs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/?source=directory

If you need or want something else, query the guys over at architosh.com...

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Just wanted to give a strong +1 for Sweet Home 3D. We are building a new home. Of course the architect is providing us with official drawings and renders. We use this to change furniture, textures, lights and such to get a feel for things before we commit. Really amazing quality for free software. An hour after downloading it I had the ground floor walls, windows and doors setup and was fooling around with positioning the 75” TV I hope to get. Kudos to everyone who helped make this app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.