Easiest way to migrate an iPhoto / Aperture album to another library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Dec 5, 2013.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi There,

I just came back from a vacation with my wife last week, and we took lots of pics while we were there. We loaded them all up on my wife's iPhoto, and every day, we edited, got rid of bad pics, etc. We also made sure all the date / time and geospatial metadata was perfect. There are a few videos as well. I'd like to migrate this album to the iPhoto library on my computer, and I want to do it with all of the metadata perfectly preserved. Is this possible? Export doesn't seem to include video files. Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Your title says iPhoto/Aperture... but it seems that you use iPhoto.

If you have Aperture, then you would select the project(s), and then "Aperture > export > project as a new library". Then on your main computer, you would "Aperture > File > Import > library". Everything will be preserved.

I think you can open her iPhoto library in Aperture... and then do the same... but I do not know which metadata and organization survives.

/Jim

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for the note. We both have Aperture / iPhoto, and they share the same library - THANKS for the Aperture tip! I will give that a try!!

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Once you switch to Aperture... I would not recommend that you still use iPhoto as part of your normal workflow.

/Jim

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just wanted to let you know that your advice worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Glad that it worked out for you. These two Aperture commands form the basic mechanism for a streamlined workflow using multiple computers.

/Jim

7. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

Why? Don't these two apps share libraries?

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

They share the same library... but Aperture is so much more powerful. If you need more than one machine, use the features of Aperture.

Sometimes... you may want to do some project in iPhoto that is not supported in Aperture (maybe a greeting card template or calendar). In those cases, I recommend just exporting the pictures from Aperture, importing them into iPhoto and do the little project.

I guess my basic frame of thought is that Aperture is unequaled in workflow. Why cripple your workflow by moving back and forth to iPhoto which is vasty inferior.

/Jim