Easiest way to play .avi movies on ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rgarjr, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Ok so the majority of my movie collection rips are in .avi format. It would take forever to convert them down to .mp4 format.

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

I have a hacked ATV but is there anyway to get AppleTV to play / stream NON-iTunes files without using boxee or xbmc? Ideally create a 'movies' folder in the AppleTV section that links back to a folder on my Mac Mini file server? Then I wouldn't really need Boxee.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

*or* Do you have a way to get all my iTunes content into Boxee so I could just use that 100%?

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

No...

Try it out, not 100% sure. Boxee plays EVERYTHING

6. duky macrumors 6502

Have you tried 720p mkv files on Boxee? Do those work?

7. Wardotron macrumors member

I know it's a long, slow pain in the arse but conversion is your best bet. iSquint or the latest Handbrake can convert to the right formats. Simply queue up the files and leave overnight.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

yep, they work well

9. duky macrumors 6502

That's so strange, I hear the exact opposite from some people while some people say what you say. I wish they had no restocking fee, cause I'd definitely like to try one out to see whether it plays the types of files I'm interested in.

10. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

What exactly is Boxee, is it software that runs on the ATV?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I had no luck with 720p MKVs using Perian on the AppleTV, ... lots of stuttering. Maybe Boxee does something different, ... I'll have to try them again.

12. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

boxee can not use to full power of the apple tv like its built in software can thats why it has trouble with some hd movies but on the factory side it plays hd just fine...the best way is to convert them and stick em in itunes...if its just sd movies and shows then boxee is great if you can get used to the ui wich i dont like...i wish plex could run on apple tv i would be all over that

13. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Just install the necessary codecs and get ATVfiles to play them... simple and effective

14. duky macrumors 6502

ATVfiles?

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Exactly, but it plays ALL video files whereas normal Apple TV only plays mp4 and mkv(I think MKV)

It also links into Hulu's site, comedy central, cnn, mtv, and a few others (free).

16. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

Woah so Boxee sounds like a nice add-on to get for your :apple:TV then. Would definitely consider that app then.

17. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

It is a plugin for AppleTV that allows you to play these kind of files, if the correct codecs are installed.

18. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Try it out, but I am sure, you won't like it that much. The UI is rather complex and clunky as opposed to other plugins that adhere to the Apple UI.
    But trying it out won't hurt ;)

19. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Amazon doesn't have a restocking fee. I've tried an Apple TV (and returned it for a full refund... I have a 4:3 SD set and it looked terrible even in the right aspect ratio).