Resolved Easiest way to restore iPhone 4 as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vong, Sep 28, 2012.

1. vong, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Since I got my iPhone 5, I am going to be giving my iPhone 4 to my friend for his birthday. My question is, what is the easiest way to do a restore and then unlocking it? I have already requested for an unlock and got approved.

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Wipe device, start over as new device.....use this program to get pictures back to camera roll (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drop2roll-transfer-photos/id465052012?mt=8), add your email accounts back in and then sync to iTunes to get your music/books/etc....last thing you can do is open the app store on your device and click on updates....above that you will see purchased....redownload all of the apps that you want back on your device and voila...you are done.

3. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Oh I already got my iPhone 5 up and working. I just want to make delete everything off the iPhone 4 so it can be unlocked and sent to my friend.

How would you recommend wiping out the device? My iPhone 4 is jailbroken.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

1) Sign out of all iCloud services...especially iMessage
    2) Erase All Content and Settings
    3) Remove your SIM
    4) Remove the old device from your Support Profile

Edit: Just noticed your iPhone is jailbroken. Step 2 will likely make it hang up and put it in a reset loop. You may want to double check the iPhone Hacks subforum.

Edit 2: You should probably read this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1293373

5. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Yeah that is why I mentioned it being jailbroken. You never want to hit 'erase all contents' or whatever.

Hm... so I just have to click 'restore' and set up as new iPhone?

6. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I did not take my sim out is that ok??

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey bro, all you gotta do is plug it to itunes and hit restore.
    It will restore and update your old iphone 4 to 6.0
    Then once its done it will be at the welcome screen where you insert a sim and plug to itunes to activate.
    Let the buyer take it from there. Everything on the device after the restore will be wiped out and will just hand him an empty iphone.

8. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Is there a way to keep 5.1.1? Friend wants to keep JB lol. I think I can hit restore then hold shift and use 5.1.1 ispw?

9. Applejuiced, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wish it was as simple as holding shift and select the 5.1.1 ipsw:D
    You will need shsh blobs for that device for 5.1.1 , then download them to your computer by using tinyumbrella.
    Then create a custom 5.1.1 with redsnow, stitch your blobs to that custom firmware, put your iphone in pwned dfu mode,make sure your hosts file points to cydias server, then restore it using itunes by using the shift and that 5.1.1 you made earlier with redsnow.
    Then once its done, setup as new. Then plug it back in and run redsnow to JB it on 5.1.1
    Not for the faint of heart unless you're really comfortable with those JB steps above and tools.
    If not check what shsh blobs are listed on the top of the page when you open cydia. If it has 5.1.1 tell him to do it himself or figure it out:D

10. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

So the first step is to put the iPhone 4 into DFU mode? Also, what is the point of using redsn0w to create a custom firmware? I thought the point of customized firmware was to preserve the baseband.

PS: Feel free to move this to where it belongs.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    No,I said enter "pwned" dfu by using redsnow but that's nowhere near the first step. First step is to verify if you have shsh blobs for 5.1.1
    Without those there's no point on doing anything cause you wont get far. Follow the steps I gave you but if you dont feel 100% comfortable dont attempt it. There's a lot of steps and hoops to jump and if you miss one or skip something even small then it wont work.
    And the point of using a custom ipsw is to stitch the 5.1.1 shsh blobs to it in order to restore to older firmware that Apple no longer signs. Without those shsh blobs stitched to the custom firmware you can never restore to older firmware versions. You will only be able to restore to the latest one out.

12. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

F it!!! Haha I remember you always helped me with upgrading and downgrading and etc. Takes two~one hour to complete. Such a hassle. I am going to tell my friend to just deal with iOS 6 and wait for iOS 6 jailbreak.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    I hear you. Its his problem tell him. It can be done if there is blobs saved on cydias server for 5.1.1 he can always jailbreak it himself if he researches and learns how or finds someone that knows how to do it.

14. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I sold mine and did not take my sim out is that ok??

15. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

Go to settings then general then reset all settings then reset ALL settings an it erases EVERYTHING, make sure you back it up on the computer before u lose it all!!!

----------

What's your carrier?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesn't work with a jb iPhone.

17. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

Problem is, he is one lazy SOB!

18. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

att

19. imjoee macrumors 6502