Easiest way to stream from Mac/PC to HDTV (also have a 360 if that matters)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cameronfield, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cameronfield macrumors member

(not sure if this is the right section - if not please move it for me!)

Ok so here's my setup: I have a 1TB network drive that both my mac and pc can access, and that is where I store all of my media. I have an xbox 360 that's networked, and lately I've been using my smaller portable HDD to connect to the xbox via USB to watch movies.

Now that works, but it would be sooo much easier to be able to stream directly from the network drive to my 360 or TV. What's the easiest way to do this? I've tried the programs that allow streaming from the PC/Mac to the 360, but they just dont work very well for me.

Is there any sort of roku-ish box that could do something like this? Or am I an idiot and am just doing something completely wrong lol?

Thanks in advance!

Edit - I recently saw this and started wondering if that would be good. Not only can it do time machine backups, but it has built in torrent settings and streaming and all that good stuff!

2. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

3. a350 macrumors regular

windows media center may work
    i have a pc box setup just to record our hd tv and we then watch it on our tv through the 360, depending on the video format the 360 should be able to stream your content, you would need your network drive attached to a pc running windows media center for this to work, i think.