Easiest way to swap upgrade eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iZeeshan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. iZeeshan macrumors regular

I know this question comes up every year, but I couldn't find it so I just wanted to know what you guys would recommend.

Our ATT plan has two lines. I have the 4S and my dad has the 3GS. My dad is in NJ and I'm in Atlanta, GA at school. He has upgrade eligibility and is letting me use his because I don't and he's happy with inheriting my 4S.

So basically, what is the best way to get the iPhone 5 at my doorstep in GA without causing either of us much hassle? Is there a way to do it without stepping into an ATT store? Also, I'm guessing it'd mean I have to order from ATT and not Apple?

Lastly, I read on the Apple/Macrumors website (can't remember) that they'd take orders starting the 14th, but would ship the pre-orders on 21st - aka the day it comes out? When I preordered the 4S I got it on launch day, I'm guessing I misread it, and this is still true?

I really appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

2. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Preorder the phone friday on his line, and then call CS after you do so, and change the shipping address to your address (it defaults to the billing address on the account).

When the phone comes in on Friday (it will deliver sep 21), go to the ATT store and get a new sim for both your phone, and your dads phone.

Ship your dad the 4S. Your dad will be out of a phone for quite some time though because of the shipping times.